How do I find missing angles in trigonometry and geometry?

• MHB
  • Thread starter clhrhrklsr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, we discussed the concept of adjacent and opposite sides in a right triangle, and how they relate to the three primary trigonometric functions. We then used the tangent function to find the missing angles in the given triangle, and also utilized the fact that angles $K$ and $L$ are complementary. We also provided a resource for finding the angle in degrees using a calculator.
clhrhrklsr
View attachment 2879
Someone please take a look at the attachment above. These two questions have me stumped and it ask on each question to find three missing angles. I don't even know where to start. Could someone be so kind and explain to me how to figure each of these. I need help with this asap to help my studying of trigonometry and geometry. Thanks

Attachments

• 20140731092706812.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 52
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For the convenience of our helpers, I have combined the images and resized a bit so that no one has to open an attachment:

View attachment 2880

Attachments

• missingangles.png
    missingangles.png
    14 KB · Views: 64
For angles $K$ and $L$, you know the sides opposite and adjacent...so which trig. function do you think will come into play here?

MarkFL said:
For angles $K$ and $L$, you know the sides opposite and adjacent...so which trig. function do you think will come into play here?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't even know where to begin or how to start this. I apologize.

clhrhrklsr said:
Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't even know where to begin or how to start this. I apologize.

Consider the following right triangle:

View attachment 2881

With regards to the angle $\theta$, we say that side $x$ is adjacent, side $y$ is opposite, and side $z$ is the hypotenuse (the longest side, which is opposite the $90^{\circ}$ angle).

Now, in trigonometry, we define the three primary trigonometric functions as follows:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{hypotenuse}}=\frac{y}{z}\)

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\text{adjacent}}{\text{hypotenuse}}=\frac{x}{z}\)

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{adjacent}}=\frac{y}{x}\)

So, we can see that when we know the opposite and adjacent sides, it is the tangent function which we can use to find the angle in question. Actually, it is the inverse of the tangent function that we will use, but in order to know where to begin, we decide which of the sides relative to the angle we know.

So, let's look at angle $L$. What are the opposite and adjacent sides?

Attachments

• triangletrig.png
    triangletrig.png
    826 bytes · Views: 57
MarkFL said:
Consider the following right triangle:

View attachment 2881

With regards to the angle $\theta$, we say that side $x$ is adjacent, side $y$ is opposite, and side $z$ is the hypotenuse (the longest side, which is opposite the $90^{\circ}$ angle).

Now, in trigonometry, we define the three primary trigonometric functions as follows:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{hypotenuse}}=\frac{y}{z}\)

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\text{adjacent}}{\text{hypotenuse}}=\frac{x}{z}\)

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{adjacent}}=\frac{y}{x}\)

So, we can see that when we know the opposite and adjacent sides, it is the tangent function which we can use to find the angle in question. Actually, it is the inverse of the tangent function that we will use, but in order to know where to begin, we decide which of the sides relative to the angle we know.

So, let's look at angle $L$. What are the opposite and adjacent sides?

The opposite site is the 5' - 6". The adjacent side is the 10' 3". how would I input this into my hp 48g+?

clhrhrklsr said:
The opposite site is the 5' - 6". The adjacent side is the 10' 3". how would I input this into my hp 48g+?

You have those reversed...the side opposite angle $L$ is 10' 3" while the side adjacent is 5' 6". So, if we convert from mixed measures, and using feet as the measure, we find:

\(\displaystyle \text{opposite}=10.25=\frac{41}{4}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{adjacent}=5.5=\frac{11}{2}\)

And so we may write:

\(\displaystyle \tan(L)=\frac{\frac{41}{4}}{\frac{11}{2}}=\frac{41}{4}\cdot\frac{2}{11}=\frac{41}{22}\)

And this implies:

\(\displaystyle L=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{41}{22}\right)\)

Make sure your calculator is is degree mode if you wish to get a result in degrees.

Now, we could do the same for angle $K$, but if we observe that angles $K$ and $L$ are complementary, that is their sum is $90^{\circ}$, we can just use:

\(\displaystyle K=90^{\circ}-L\)

So, what do you get?

MarkFL said:
You have those reversed...the side opposite angle $L$ is 10' 3" while the side adjacent is 5' 6". So, if we convert from mixed measures, and using feet as the measure, we find:

\(\displaystyle \text{opposite}=10.25=\frac{41}{4}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{adjacent}=5.5=\frac{11}{2}\)

And so we may write:

\(\displaystyle \tan(L)=\frac{\frac{41}{4}}{\frac{11}{2}}=\frac{41}{4}\cdot\frac{2}{11}=\frac{41}{22}\)

And this implies:

\(\displaystyle L=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{41}{22}\right)\)

Make sure your calculator is is degree mode if you wish to get a result in degrees.

Now, we could do the same for angle $K$, but if we observe that angles $K$ and $L$ are complementary, that is their sum is $90^{\circ}$, we can just use:

\(\displaystyle K=90^{\circ}-L\)

So, what do you get?

how do you input that 41/22 in the calculator? How does that turn into the angle for L?

clhrhrklsr said:
how do you input that 41/22 in the calculator? How does that turn into the angle for L?

I can't tell you how your particular calculator operates, but the inverse tangent of 41/22 represents the angle in question. I can point you to a site that will give you the angle though

arctan'('41'/'22')' - Wolfram|Alpha

If you scroll down a little, you will see it gives the angle in degrees, rounded to two decimal places.

FAQ: How do I find missing angles in trigonometry and geometry?

1. What is the definition of a missing angle?

A missing angle is an angle that is not given in a geometric figure or problem, and must be solved for using other known angles or information.

2. How do you find a missing angle in a triangle?

In a triangle, the sum of all three angles is always 180 degrees. To find a missing angle, you can subtract the sum of the two given angles from 180 degrees to find the missing angle.

3. What is the difference between an interior and exterior angle?

An interior angle is an angle formed inside a geometric figure, while an exterior angle is formed outside of the figure. Interior angles are always less than 180 degrees, while exterior angles are always greater than 180 degrees.

4. Can you find a missing angle using trigonometric functions?

Yes, trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent can be used to find missing angles in right triangles. These functions use the ratio of sides in a triangle to determine the value of an unknown angle.

5. How can I check if my answer for a missing angle is correct?

You can check your answer by using a protractor to measure the angle. Alternatively, you can plug your answer into the original problem to see if it satisfies all given conditions and equations.

Back