How do I Find \nabla in Spherical Coordinates?

In summary, to find \nabla in spherical coordinates, you can use the chain rule to find the partial derivatives of u with respect to each coordinate (ρ, θ, and φ), then substitute them into the formula \nabla u= \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\vec{k}. This will give you the components i, j, and k for the gradient vector. You can refer to the link provided for more detailed instructions.
squenshl
How do I find [tex]\nabla[/tex] in Spherical Coordinates. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I go about doing it from scratch.
How do I find i, j, & k from the definition of [tex]\nabla[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\nabla[/tex] = del/del(x) i + del/del(y) j + del/del(z) k
I found del/del(x), del/del)(y), del/del(z) but how do I find i, j, k. Help please.

Have you looked at the site tiny-tim gives? No one is going to go through the whole thing just for you! It's not terribly deep but very tedious!

Here's a start only:

Since [itex]\nabla u= \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/itex]
so you need to use the chain rule

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial \rho}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial u}{\partial \phi}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}[/tex]

Since [itex]\rho= (x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{1/2}[/itex],
[tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x}= (1/2)(x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{-1/2}(2x}= \frac{\rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)}{\rho}= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
and similarly for the others.

Related to How do I Find \nabla in Spherical Coordinates?

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of three-dimensional coordinates used to locate a point in space. They are based on the distance from the origin (r), the polar angle (θ) from the positive z-axis, and the azimuthal angle (φ) from the positive x-axis in the xy-plane.

2. How are spherical coordinates converted to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following formulas:
x = r*sin(θ)*cos(φ)
y = r*sin(θ)*sin(φ)
z = r*cos(θ)
Where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates?

One advantage of using spherical coordinates is that they are well-suited for describing points on a sphere or other curved surfaces. They are also useful in physics and engineering, as they simplify certain equations and calculations.

4. How are spherical coordinates used in real-world applications?

Spherical coordinates are used in many real-world applications, such as navigation and GPS systems, astronomy, and geology. They are also used in computer graphics and virtual reality to represent 3D objects.

5. Can spherical coordinates be used to describe any point in space?

Yes, spherical coordinates can be used to describe any point in three-dimensional space. However, they are not always the most convenient coordinate system to use, and other systems such as Cartesian coordinates may be more suitable in certain situations.