How do i find roll angle with using acceleration vectors?

In summary, the question asks how to find the roll angle using 3 acceleration vectors with respect to each of the 3 axes, with a range of [-pi, pi]. The data is taken from an accelerometer and the equations used are (ax^2) + (ay^2) + (az^2) = 1 g, ax^2 + az^2 = axz^2, ay^2 + az^2 = ayz^2, and ax^2 + ay^2 = axy^2. The attempt at a solution involved finding the net acceleration projection in the xz and xy planes and using arctangent, but the range of arctangent is limited.
usb232

Homework Statement

Assume that the z-axis is pointing up, x-axis is along the horizontal, y-axis goes from "front to back".

How do i find the roll angle using 3 acceleration vectors with respect to each of the 3 axes (ax,ay,az) , that is (with respect to each other only something like f(ax,ay,az) = roll )?
Also, the range should be from [-pi to pi].

These 3 acceleration vectors are data taken from an accelerometer.

Homework Equations

(ax^2) + (ay^2) + (az^2) = 1 g -----> i assumed this, though i don't know if this applies to an accelerometer too :shy:
ax^2 + az^2 = axz^2
ay^2 + az^2 = ayz^2
ax^2 + ay^2 = axy^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried doing this,
1. i took the net acceleration projection in the xz plane: axz = sqrt { ax^2 + az^2 }
2. i then took the arctangent, between ax and axz: arctangent (ax / axz)

(please help, i know that this is wrong since tangent is only from -pi/2 to pi/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
i then tried to use the net acceleration in the xy plane: axy = sqrt { ax^2 + ay^2 }but again, same problem with arctangentso i don't know what to do now :/

Related to How do i find roll angle with using acceleration vectors?

1. How do acceleration vectors help determine roll angle?

Acceleration vectors provide information about the direction and magnitude of an object's acceleration. By analyzing the acceleration vectors, the angular acceleration of the object can be calculated, which can then be used to determine the roll angle.

2. What is the relationship between roll angle and acceleration vectors?

The roll angle is directly related to the angular acceleration of an object. As the object rolls, its angular acceleration can be determined by analyzing the acceleration vectors. This angular acceleration can then be used to calculate the roll angle.

3. How do I collect acceleration vector data to find the roll angle?

Acceleration vector data can be collected using sensors such as accelerometers. These sensors measure the acceleration of an object in multiple directions, which can then be used to calculate the angular acceleration and determine the roll angle.

4. Is it necessary to know the initial roll angle to use acceleration vectors for determining roll angle?

No, it is not necessary to know the initial roll angle in order to use acceleration vectors. By analyzing the acceleration vectors at a given moment, the current roll angle can be calculated without prior knowledge of the initial roll angle.

5. Are there any limitations to using acceleration vectors for finding roll angle?

Yes, there are some limitations to using acceleration vectors for determining roll angle. These may include factors such as noise in the data, inaccuracies in sensor measurements, and the need for precise calibration of the sensors. Additionally, the method may not be suitable for all types of objects or environments.

Back