How do I find the amount heat energy generated from pushing a crate?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the amount of heat energy generated when a force of 120N pushes a crate of mass 15 kg at a constant speed of 3.2 m/s for a distance of 6.2m. The suggested approach is to use the equation W = Fd and assume that the energy lost due to friction is equal to the change in kinetic energy.
pokeefer

Homework Statement

A force of 120N pushes a crate of mass 15 kg along the ground at a constant speed of 3.2 m/s for a distance of 6.2m. What amount of heat energy was generated during this time?

Homework Equations

W = Fd
KE + PE = KE ' + PE '

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if the law of conservation of energy still applies somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
pokeefer said:

Homework Statement

A force of 120N pushes a crate of mass 15 kg along the ground at a constant speed of

If its pushed at a constant speed what other force must be acting on the crate?

kjohnson said:
If its pushed at a constant speed what other force must be acting on the crate?

I'm guessing the force of friction.

But would I be able to solve for heat energy by:

Work = Change in kinetic energy

Then finding the initial kinetic energy and then

Ke Final = Work - Ke initial

Ke Final = Fd - 1/2 mv^2

?

Since friction is not a conservative force that means that energy is being dissipated or lost from the system. So you want to make the assumption that the energy lost because of friction is...

As a scientist, you can use the formula for work (W = Fd) to calculate the amount of work done by the force (120N) on the crate over a distance of 6.2m. This work done is equal to the amount of energy transferred to the crate, which can be converted to heat energy.

However, in this case, since the crate is moving at a constant speed, there is no change in kinetic energy (KE) or potential energy (PE), so the formula KE + PE = KE' + PE' is not applicable.

To find the amount of heat energy generated, you can use the formula for work (W = Fd) and the definition of power (P = W/t) to calculate the power (energy per unit time) exerted on the crate. Then, you can use the specific heat capacity of the crate's material to calculate the amount of heat energy generated.

Alternatively, you can also use the formula for mechanical energy (ME = KE + PE) to calculate the total mechanical energy of the crate before and after the push, and then subtract the two values to find the change in energy, which can be converted to heat energy.

In summary, to find the amount of heat energy generated from pushing a crate, you can use either the formula for work (W = Fd) or the formula for mechanical energy (ME = KE + PE) and then convert the resulting energy to heat energy using the appropriate conversion factor.

Related to How do I find the amount heat energy generated from pushing a crate?

1. How do I calculate the amount of heat energy generated from pushing a crate?

The amount of heat energy generated from pushing a crate can be calculated using the formula: Q = m•c•ΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the crate, c is the specific heat capacity of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of a crate?

The specific heat capacity of a crate depends on the material it is made of. Some common values are: 0.9 J/g°C for wood, 0.45 J/g°C for steel, and 0.22 J/g°C for concrete.

3. How can I measure the mass of a crate?

The mass of a crate can be measured using a scale or balance. Simply place the crate on the scale and record the measurement.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the heat energy for any material?

No, the specific heat capacity value will be different for each material. Therefore, the formula may change depending on what material the crate is made of.

5. Is there a way to estimate the change in temperature when pushing a crate?

Yes, you can estimate the change in temperature by measuring the initial and final temperatures of the crate and using the formula: ΔT = Tf - Ti, where ΔT is the change in temperature, Tf is the final temperature, and Ti is the initial temperature.