How do I find the average speed for this problem?

In summary, the problem involves Julie driving 100 miles to her grandmother's house at different speeds. To find the average speed, we need to calculate the total time taken by adding the travel times for each section of the journey. This approach helps avoid common mistakes.
ixerr

Homework Statement

I don't know how to start.. someone please give me a step-by-step explanation.
Julie drives 100 mi to Grandmother's house. On the way there she drives half of the distance at 42 mi/hr and half the distance at 68 mi/hr. What is Julie's average speed (in mi/hr) on the way to Grandmother's house?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the total distance, so you need to work out the total time taken. To do this, work out the travel time on each different section, and then add them up.

If you do it this way, you'll avoid falling into the trap ! :smile:

Related to How do I find the average speed for this problem?

1. What is the formula for calculating average speed?

The formula for calculating average speed is: average speed = total distance / total time.

2. Can I use any units of measurement for distance and time?

Yes, you can use any units of measurement for distance and time as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use kilometers for distance, then you should use hours for time.

3. How do I find the total distance and total time for a problem?

To find the total distance, add up all the distances traveled. To find the total time, add up all the individual times it took to travel each distance.

4. What if I have multiple speeds for different parts of the problem?

If you have multiple speeds for different parts of the problem, you will need to find the total distance and total time for each part separately. Then, you can use the formula mentioned in question 1 to find the average speed for the entire problem.

5. Is average speed the same as instantaneous speed?

No, average speed and instantaneous speed are different. Average speed is calculated over a certain period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time.