How do I find the coordinates of the centre and vertices in a square and circle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Maths student
  • Start date
In summary, the vertex A is at the point (6, -4 ), and the diagnol BD has equation 2y-x=6. The vertex B is nearer to the origin than D. To find the coordinates of the center of the square, you will need to use 1a) and find the line perpendicular to BD that contains A. To find the coordinates of the center of the circle that pass through (0,2), (4,8) and the origin, you will need to use 2).
Maths student
1) The vertex A if a square ABCD is at the point (6, -4 ) . The diagnol BD has equation 2y-x=6, and the vertex B is nearer to the origin than D.

a)calculate the coordinates of the centre of the square.

b)calculate the coordinates of B and C.

2) Calculate the coordinates of the centre of the circle that pass through (0,2) , (4,8) and the origin O.

I attempted 1a and 2 and got random answers... which were not on the answers page. I couldn't do b. pls can someone show me the actual working as i can figure the answer on the answers page anyways :P i need to know how to work these out - they're hard :/

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maths student said:
1) The vertex A if a square ABCD is at the point (6, -4 ) . The diagnol BD has equation 2y-x=6, and the vertex B is nearer to the origin than D.

a)calculate the coordinates of the centre of the square.

b)calculate the coordinates of B and C.

2) Calculate the coordinates of the centre of the circle that pass through (0,2) , (4,8) and the origin O.

I attempted 1a and 2 and got random answers... which were not on the answers page. I couldn't do b. pls can someone show me the actual working as i can figure the answer on the answers page anyways :P i need to know how to work these out - they're hard :/

Hi Maths student! Welcome to MHB!

For 1a) how far can you get to find the line perpendicular to BD that contains A?

You will need the answer to 1a) to answer 1b).

For 2), hint: the equation of a circle is $(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2$, where $r$ is the radius, and (a,b) is the center.
What is the set of equations that you can get by substituting each of the given points for x and y?

For 2) let's denote $O(0,0)$, $A(0,2)$ and $B(4,8)$. As an alternative solution, you could find the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors to $OA$ and $OB$.

Can you help with b?

And how do you know how to do 2? Do I just rote learn the method.. I mean, is that what you did? I don't get it

Maths student said:
Can you help with b?

And how do you know how to do 2? Do I just rote learn the method.. I mean, is that what you did? I don't get it

Rote learning is a bad way to learn math. It's a dead end. Math is about understanding.
But you have come to the right place if you want to learn.
Still, we can only help you if you give us some indication what you know and/or what you are thinking.

So, if you're willing, what are your thoughts on 1a?

I passed last year with an A by rote learning the methods, for all I care. The questions repeat every year with different numbers.

I understood 1a, having been aught on another forum.

I have no clue in regards to b and for 2 I thought that if the same coordinate appearing means the line is the diameter... But obviously not.
I'm tired, it's late and the exam is tomorrow.
Fyi I can't use a calculator so using y minusyone equals mx plus c and the rule about the gradients and parrellr and perpendicular lines, please can you just show your working.

Fyi this isn't homework, just practice for the exam. The answers are in my textbook anyways. I just want to know how you het the answer.

Trust me I also got an A* last year despite teachers thinking I would struggle as I didn't really understand, but just rote learned info.
These exams are only testing your memory if you practice enough questions anyways :p

Related to How do I find the coordinates of the centre and vertices in a square and circle?

What are some strategies for solving maths problems?

Some strategies for solving maths problems include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using diagrams or visual aids, and working backwards from the solution.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in maths?

To improve your problem-solving skills in maths, it is important to practice regularly and to approach problems with a positive attitude. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources or ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

Why is it important to show my work when solving maths problems?

Showing your work when solving maths problems is important because it allows you to check your work for errors, helps you to identify where you may have made a mistake, and allows others to follow your thought process and provide feedback.

How can I overcome my fear of solving maths problems?

To overcome your fear of solving maths problems, it can be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, take deep breaths and stay calm, and remind yourself that making mistakes is a natural part of learning.

What should I do if I get stuck while solving a maths problem?

If you get stuck while solving a maths problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try using a different strategy or approach, or ask for help from a teacher or classmate.