How do I find the position vector for the line of intersection?

• Thread starter ishterz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, the problem involves finding a vector equation for the line of intersection between two planes with given equations. The attempted solution involves using the vector product to find the direction vector, but the position vector is still needed. The suggestion is to find a point contained in both planes and use it to complete the vector equation.
ishterz

Homework Statement

Two planes have equations
2x-y-3z=7
x+2y+2z=0

Find a vector equation for their line of intersection

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't learned the vector product in class but read it and attempted it and got the direction vector 4i-7j+5k.
However, I don't know how to get the position vector of this.

Thank you for your help and time

Physics news on Phys.org
You have done most of the work. You did the vector product correctly, and have found the vector coordinates for a line parallel to the line of intersection. Now all you need is a point contained in both planes. The line of intersection will then be parallel to the direction vector you found and will run through that point. I recommend letting z = 0 and finding the point where the planes intersect in the x-y plane. If you have any problems, let us know.

FAQ: How do I find the position vector for the line of intersection?

What are vectors, planes, and lines?

Vectors, planes, and lines are fundamental concepts in mathematics and physics. Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. Planes are two-dimensional surfaces that extend infinitely in all directions. Lines are one-dimensional objects that extend infinitely in both directions.

What is the difference between a vector and a point?

A vector represents a displacement or change in position and has both magnitude and direction. A point, on the other hand, has no direction and is simply a location in space. Vectors can be used to describe the relationship between points in space.

How do you find the equation of a line or plane?

The equation of a line can be determined using two points on the line or a point and the direction vector of the line. The equation of a plane can be determined using three non-collinear points on the plane or a point and two direction vectors of the plane.

What is the dot product and cross product of vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar quantity that represents the projection of one vector onto the other. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The cross product of two vectors is a vector quantity that is perpendicular to both vectors and has a magnitude equal to the product of their magnitudes and the sine of the angle between them.

How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent forces, velocities, and accelerations in physics problems. In engineering, vectors are used to represent forces and moments in structures. In computer graphics, vectors are used to represent positions and orientations of objects in 3D space.