How do I find the time of a bullet embedded into a block on a spring?

Step 3: Use the formula for force of a spring, F=-kx, and set that equal to the mass times the acceleration (the 2nd law equation).Step 4: Rearrange the 2nd law equation to solve for the acceleration.Step 5: Use kinematic equations to find the displacement of the bullet/block combo at any given time t.Step 6: Set the displacement equal to the maximum compression of the spring (5.88cm) and solve for the time t.In summary, to find the initial speed of the bullet and the time for the bullet block system to come to rest, you need to first find the velocity of the combined bullet and block,
agentlee

Homework Statement

A 2.25g bullet embeds itsself in a 1.50kg block, which is attached to a spring of force constant 785N/m. If the max compression of the spring is 5.88cm, find the initial speed of the bullet and the time for the bullet block system to come to rest.

The speed comes out to be 897.43m/s

Homework Equations

mvi=mvf
1/2mv^2=1/2kx^2
T=2∏√m/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the initial speed of the bullet and only got stuck on the second part. I thought that since I'm given the distance and I found the speed of the bullet and block system, I could divide them to get the time.
The other time equation did not work either. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: Find the velocity of the combined bullet and block immediately after impact of the bullet. This is the initial velocity for

Step 2: the problem of a bullet/block mass being slowed down by the compressing spring. Treat the bullet/block combo as a free body, and write the 2nd law force balance equation on it.

Related to How do I find the time of a bullet embedded into a block on a spring?

1. How do I measure the time of a bullet embedded into a block on a spring?

The time of a bullet embedded into a block on a spring can be measured using a high-speed camera and a motion analysis software. The camera records the movement of the block on the spring and the software calculates the time taken for the bullet to embed into the block.

2. What equipment do I need to measure the time of a bullet embedded into a block on a spring?

In addition to a high-speed camera and motion analysis software, you will also need a block of spring material, a bullet, and a device to launch the bullet into the block. It is important to use equipment that is capable of accurately measuring and recording high-speed movements.

3. How does the spring affect the time of the bullet's embedding?

The spring plays a crucial role in determining the time of the bullet's embedding. The stiffness of the spring, as well as its mass and the amount of compression it experiences, can all affect the time taken for the bullet to embed into the block.

4. Is there a standard method for measuring the time of a bullet embedded into a block on a spring?

Yes, there are established methods for measuring the time of a bullet embedded into a block on a spring. These methods usually involve using high-speed cameras, motion analysis software, and carefully controlled experiments to ensure accurate results.

5. Can I use this method to measure the speed of a bullet?

While measuring the time of a bullet embedded into a block on a spring can provide valuable information, it is not an accurate method for measuring the speed of a bullet. To accurately measure bullet speed, specialized equipment such as a chronograph is needed.

Back