How do I find the treasure without encountering the angry dragon?

In summary, the problem presents a treasure map with specific directions to reach the treasure, but upon arrival, there is an angry dragon blocking the path. To avoid the dragon, the map suggests taking an angle of 60 degrees east of north along the yellow brick road. The question asks for the direction and distance needed to reach the treasure. The solution involves finding the position vector of the treasure using north and east as i and j, respectively, and then subtracting it from the position vector of the place reached through the yellow brick road, which can be found using rcos and rsin at i and j.
sunbunny
Hey, I'm completely stuck and lost on this problem.

The question is:

You are given a treasure map and it says "Start at the old oak tree, walk due north for 550 paces, then due east for 120 paces. Dig." But when you arrive, you find an angry dragon just north of the tree. To avoid the dragon, you set off along the yellow brick road at an angle 60 degrees east of north. After walking 400 paces you see an opening through the woods. Which direction should you go, and how far, to reach the treasure?

Note: the 60 degree angle is positioned at the stating position and the hypotenuse and the hypotenuse is the yellow brick road.

any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
find the treasures distance in vector form, take north j and east as i.
Then also find the position vector of the place you reach through yellow bricks.
Suntract the position vectors. The way to fnd second pos vector is rcos at i and rsin at j

thanks a lot, i'll give that a try :)

Related to How do I find the treasure without encountering the angry dragon?

What is the "Lost on Vector" problem?

The "Lost on Vector" problem is a hypothetical scenario in which a spacecraft traveling through space becomes lost due to a malfunction or error in its navigation system.

What causes the "Lost on Vector" problem?

The "Lost on Vector" problem can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a software glitch, hardware malfunction, human error, or unexpected environmental conditions.

How can the "Lost on Vector" problem be solved?

There are several ways to solve the "Lost on Vector" problem, depending on the specific circumstances. Possible solutions may include troubleshooting the navigation system, using backup systems or alternative methods of navigation, or seeking assistance from ground control.

Can the "Lost on Vector" problem be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent the "Lost on Vector" problem from occurring, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the likelihood of it happening. This may include regular maintenance and testing of the spacecraft's navigation system, implementing redundancy measures, and ensuring proper training for crew members.

What are the implications of the "Lost on Vector" problem?

The implications of the "Lost on Vector" problem can be significant, as it can result in a spacecraft being unable to reach its intended destination or being stranded in space. This can have consequences for both the mission and the safety of the crew on board.