How do I find the volume under a circular domain using double integrals?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the volume under the equation (2x-y) and over a circular domain with center (0,0) and radius 2. The speaker is trying to determine if they need to split the circle into hemispheres and treat it as two separate type I domains. They have found the limits for the top half of the circle and are attempting to integrate with respect to y. They are unsure if their method is correct and are seeking clarification on the question. The expert suggests that the area or volume under 2x-y=0 should be calculated separately from the area or volume of the cap that is not covered by 2x-y=0.
Shaybay92
So I have to use the type I type II region formula to find the volume under the equation (2x-y) and over the circular domain with center (0,0) and radius 2. Do I have to split this circle into hemispheres and treat it as 2 type I domains? I got the following limits for the top half, but I get stuck when integrating:

y limits:
Upper: Sqrt(2 - x^2) from the equation 2 = y^2 + x^2
Lower: 0

X limits:
Upper: 2
Lower: -2

So I have to find the integral with respect to y of 2x-y with limits 0 to Sqrt[2-x^2]

After integrating with respect to Y I got:

2x(Sqrt[2-x^2]) - 1 + (x^2)/2

Is this correct to start with? Then integrate with respect to x from -2 to 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shaybay92! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Can you please clarify the question? :confused:

Are you trying to find a 2D area, or a 3D volume?

By "the equation (2x-y)" do you mean the line (or plane) with 2x-y = 0?

If so, isn't this just the area of a semi-circle (or the volume of a hemisphere)?

(I'm not familiar with the "type and I type II" classification, but it looks like you need to use the area or volume under 2x-y=0 separately from the area or volume of the cap that's "clear" of 2x-y=0)

Related to How do I find the volume under a circular domain using double integrals?

What is a double integral over a circle?

A double integral over a circle is a mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a surface that is bounded by a circle. It is an extension of single integrals, where the integration is done over a two-dimensional region instead of a one-dimensional interval.

How is a double integral over a circle calculated?

A double integral over a circle can be calculated by first converting the integral into polar coordinates, where the circle's equation is represented as r = f(θ). The integration is then done over the polar coordinates, with the limits of integration being determined by the circle's radius and the angle of rotation.

What is the significance of a double integral over a circle?

A double integral over a circle is significant in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to calculate the volume under a curved surface, which is important in many real-world applications.

What are the limitations of using a double integral over a circle?

One limitation of using a double integral over a circle is that it can only be applied to circular regions. For other shapes, different integration techniques must be used. Additionally, the calculation for a double integral over a circle can be complex and time-consuming, making it difficult to use for large or complicated surfaces.

How is a double integral over a circle used in real-world applications?

A double integral over a circle has many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of objects with curved surfaces, such as spheres or cylinders. It is also used in fields such as fluid mechanics, where the volume under a curved surface is important in determining fluid flow. Additionally, it is used in statistics for calculating the probability of events in circular regions.

Back