How Do I Find the Y-Intercept of x^2/sqrt(x + 1)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
In summary, to find the intercepts of a function, you can plug in 0 for either the x or y variable and solve. To find the vertical asymptote, set the denominator equal to 0 and solve for x. If the exponent in the numerator is larger than the one in the denominator, there will be no horizontal asymptote.
shamieh
Find the intercepts.

How do I find the y intercept?
\(\displaystyle
\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x + 1}}\)

the x is easy I just plug in a 0.

for the y intercept what are the rules...It's like if the exponent is bigger than the bottom exponent then = undefined?? and if its the same you look at the coefficient and if it's smaller exponent/bigger exponent= 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it backwards actually. To find the y-intercept you plug in 0 for x and solve. To find the x-intercept you plug in 0 for y and solve.

So you'll get two equations:

(1) \(\displaystyle 0 = \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x + 1}}\)

(2) \(\displaystyle y=\frac{0^2}{0+1}\)

Which one is which?

okay so y = 0..

so how do I find the x... I say x^2 = 0 and then x = 0 ? Oh I think I see now!

- - - Updated - - -

Jameson, since this is relating to the same problem...What about Vertical Asymptote and Horizontal Asymptotes?

for Vertical asymptote I would just set the denominator to zero correct?

x + 1 = 0 which means x = - 1 for V.A.then for the horizontal asymptote how do I find it? if the exponent in the numerator is larger than the exponent in the denominator it would mean that it is undefined therefore being no Horizontal Asymptote? Am I Correct in saying this?

Yep, exactly! When we divide by zero we have a vertical asymptote so we set the denominator equal to 0. The exponent in the numerator is larger than the one in the denominator so we conclude that it doesn't stabilize to some horizontal value. (Yes).

Here is what it looks like by the way and you should see you're correct on all accounts:

[GRAPH]uzgyyv8zsx[/GRAPH]

FAQ: How Do I Find the Y-Intercept of x^2/sqrt(x + 1)?

1. What is the general definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical rule that assigns exactly one output for every input. In other words, it is a relationship between two variables where each input has a unique output.

2. How do you find the intercepts of a function?

The intercepts of a function are the points where the graph of the function crosses the x-axis (x-intercept) or the y-axis (y-intercept). To find the intercepts, set the function equal to 0 and solve for the variable.

3. Can you explain how to find the x-intercepts of the function x^2/sqrt(x+1)?

To find the x-intercepts, set the function equal to 0 and solve for x. In this case, we have x^2/sqrt(x+1) = 0. By multiplying both sides by sqrt(x+1), we get x^2 = 0. The only solution to this equation is x = 0. Therefore, the x-intercept is (0,0).

4. How do you find the y-intercept of a function in general?

The y-intercept of a function is the point where the graph crosses the y-axis. To find the y-intercept, set the input (x) equal to 0 and solve for the output (y).

5. What is the y-intercept of the function x^2/sqrt(x+1)?

To find the y-intercept, we set x = 0 and solve for y. In this case, we have y = 0^2/sqrt(0+1) = 0/1 = 0. Therefore, the y-intercept is (0,0).