How do I Find Vector b for comp_ab = 2?

In summary, the question asks for a formula for the projection of b on a vector a. The equation for the projection is (b-ca) . a = 0.
0range

Homework Statement

If a=<3,-1> , find vector b such that [tex]comp_ab=2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]comp_ab=\frac{a.b}{|a|}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Still not entirely sure[tex]comp_ab[/tex] is, exactly... is it C in the below?
108a8wg.jpg

Lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand that there is not a unique answer? The "projection of b on a" is the length of the "near side" of a lying along vector a while vector b is the hypotenuse. Given any angle for b, there exist some length that makes the projection 2.

In any case, you wrote a formula for the projection,
[tex]proj_a b= \frac{a\cdot b}{|a|}[/tex]
but don't use it. If you write [itex]b= <b_1, b_2>[/itex] then that formula becomes
[tex]2= \frac{3b_1+ b_2}{\sqrt{10}}[/tex]

That gives a single equation for b.

I have no idea what that [itex]\sqrt{40}[/itex] is supposed to be.

Also, it [itex]a\cdot b= c\dot b[/itex], it does NOT follow that [itex]a= c[/itex]. Vectors do not cancel that way.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to help. It's really appreciated.

I have a vague understanding that this question isn't asking for a single answer. Your explanation is helpful.

Isn't it comp, and not proj? (This is what my book gives, at least.) I didn't use it because I don't really understand what it is, and what it is saying.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to type what I'm thinking without it being too confusing... but in the hopes that you can tell me if I've misunderstood, or whatever the case may be... if it is too confusing, I'll make a diagram when I get home from work and post it.

I was trying to go from the fact that given a vector a and vector b, there is an orthogonal that is [tex]b-proj_ab[/tex]. And [tex]proj_ab[/tex] is some constant C times a.

So, if you substitute Ca for [tex]proj_ab[/tex] you get [tex](b-ca) . a = 0[/tex]

and

[tex]a.b - ca . a = 0[/tex]

[tex] a . b = ca . a[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a . b}{a . a} = c[/tex]

so [tex]proj_ab=\frac{a . b}{a . a}a[/tex]

Is this wrong?

edit: Is there a better way to write dot products than just putting a decimal in?

Related to How do I Find Vector b for comp_ab = 2?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented graphically as an arrow with a specific length and direction.

2. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first align them so that their tails are together. Then, you can simply add or subtract the components of each vector to get the resulting vector.

3. What is a projection of a vector?

A projection of a vector is a vector that is created by "projecting" one vector onto another vector. It represents the component of the first vector that is in the direction of the second vector.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is its length, which can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of each component of the vector.

5. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar quantity that represents the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. It is used to find the angle between two vectors and can also be used to determine if the vectors are perpendicular or parallel.

Back