How do I generate a broadband or wideband carrier?

• Thread starter lolone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carrier
In summary, the conversation discusses the generation of a carrier on a single frequency using an oscillator and amplification. The question arises about generating a carrier that is 100KHz or 100MHz wide and whether multiple oscillators or modulation can achieve this. The context is studying digital signals with large bandwidths and the question of whether the bandwidth is composed of independent carriers or a result of modulation.
lolone
Generating a carrier on a single frequency is simple, just use an oscillator of a specific frequency and amplify.

But how do I generate a carrier that is 100KHz wide, or even 100MHz wide? The obvious answer is more oscillators, but is there a better way?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "carrier that is 100kHz wide". You can fill out a 100kHz channel with multiple carriers (like in OOFDM), or you can modulate a carrier, but a single carrier is generally at a single frequency.

What is the context of your question? What are you studying?

I don't think there is such a thing as a "carrier that is 100kHz wide".

I understand this.

You can fill out a 100kHz channel with multiple carriers (like in OOFDM), or you can modulate a carrier, but a single carrier is generally at a single frequency.

My question is related to generation and independent control of multiple carriers spanning a given bandwidth (i.e. 100KHz or 100MHz.)

What is the context of your question? What are you studying?

I have been looking at some types of digital signals with large bandwidths (1/4/8MHz, etc). Is this bandwidth composed of independent carriers, or is it the result of interactions due to the modulation scheme employed?

Thread locked pending moderation.

Generating a broadband or wideband carrier involves using multiple oscillators and combining their frequencies to create a wider frequency range. This can be achieved through techniques such as frequency mixing, where two oscillators with different frequencies are combined to create a new frequency that is the sum or difference of the original frequencies. This method can be repeated multiple times to generate a wider range of frequencies.

Another approach is to use a frequency synthesizer, which is a device that can generate a wide range of frequencies by combining multiple oscillators and using a control circuit to select and combine specific frequencies. This allows for precise control and flexibility in generating a broadband or wideband carrier.

In addition, techniques such as phase-locked loops (PLLs) and direct digital synthesis (DDS) can also be used to generate a wide range of frequencies by manipulating the phase and frequency of a single oscillator.

Overall, while using multiple oscillators may seem like the most straightforward solution, there are more advanced techniques and technologies available for generating a broadband or wideband carrier. It is important to consider factors such as frequency stability, accuracy, and control when choosing the best method for your specific application.

Related to How do I generate a broadband or wideband carrier?

1. How do I generate a broadband carrier?

Generating a broadband carrier involves using a wide range of frequencies to create a signal that can carry a large amount of data. This can be achieved by using a frequency mixer or a frequency synthesizer to combine multiple signals of different frequencies.

2. What is the difference between a broadband and a wideband carrier?

A broadband carrier refers to a signal that covers a wide range of frequencies, typically from a few megahertz to several gigahertz. A wideband carrier, on the other hand, is a signal that covers an even wider range of frequencies, typically from a few hundred megahertz to several gigahertz.

3. Can I generate a broadband or wideband carrier using a single frequency source?

No, a single frequency source is not enough to generate a broadband or wideband carrier. To achieve a wide range of frequencies, multiple sources must be combined using a frequency mixer or synthesizer.

4. What are the applications of generating a broadband or wideband carrier?

Generating a broadband or wideband carrier is essential in many communication systems, such as wireless networks, satellite communication, and radar systems. It allows for the transmission of large amounts of data at high speeds, making it ideal for applications that require a high bandwidth.

5. Are there any challenges in generating a broadband or wideband carrier?

Yes, there are several challenges in generating a broadband or wideband carrier. These include the need for precise frequency control, maintaining signal integrity, and dealing with interference and noise. Advanced techniques and technologies are constantly being developed to overcome these challenges and improve the efficiency and reliability of broadband and wideband carriers.

Back