How do I get the parametrization?

In summary, the line integral of the scalar function f(x,y,z) = xe^{z^2} can be computed by first finding a parametrization for the piecewise linear path from (0,0,1) to (0,2,0) to (1,1,1). The correct parametrization is c(t) = <0, t, 1- t/2>, as it correctly represents the line and satisfies the given conditions. The alternative parametrization, c(t) = <0, 2t, 1- 2t>, is incorrect as it does not accurately represent the given line.
DrunkApple

Homework Statement

Compute the line integral of the scalar function.
f(x,y,z) = x[itex]e^{z^2}[/itex], piecewise linear path from (0,0,1) to (0,2,0) to (1,1,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In this problem, all I need is a parametrization. First I drew the line from (0,0,1) to (0,2,0) xyz-plane. I got the slope as z = 1 - [itex]\frac{y}{2}[/itex]. So I set y = t then z will be 1 - [itex]\frac{t}{2}[/itex]. I got parametrization as c(t) = <0,t,1-[itex]\frac{y}{2}[/itex]>. But it's wrong. It's c(t) = <0,2t,1-2t>. Would anyone help me how to get parametrization ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the line from (0, 0, 1) to (0, 2, 0) can be written as z= 1- y/2. Since you are using t as parameter, that would be <0, t, 1- t/2>. Why do you say that is wrong?
When t= 0, your parameterization gives (0, 0, 1) and when t= 2, it gives (0, 2, 1). A line is determined by two points so it gives the correct line.

It is c(t)= <0, 2t, 1- 2t> that is wrong. In order that y= 2t= 2, t must be 1. But then z= 1- 2= -1, not 0.

Related to How do I get the parametrization?

1. What is parametrization?

Parametrization is the process of defining and assigning numerical values to parameters in a mathematical model or equation. This allows for the model to be more flexible and adaptable to different scenarios.

2. Why is parametrization important in scientific research?

Parametrization is important in scientific research because it allows for more accurate and precise modeling of complex systems. It also allows for easier manipulation of the model to test different hypotheses and scenarios.

3. How do you determine the appropriate parameters to use in parametrization?

The appropriate parameters to use in parametrization are typically determined through a combination of theoretical understanding, experimental data, and statistical analysis. It is important to carefully select parameters that accurately represent the system being modeled.

4. Can parametrization be applied to any type of scientific model?

Yes, parametrization can be applied to a wide range of scientific models, including physical, biological, and social systems. Any model that involves parameters can benefit from parametrization.

5. What are some common challenges or limitations in setting up parametrization?

Some common challenges or limitations in setting up parametrization include choosing the appropriate parameters, accurately measuring and obtaining data for those parameters, and ensuring that the model accurately reflects the real-world system. In some cases, the complexity of the system may also make it difficult to identify and assign meaningful parameters.