How do I go about finding the ratio of the electric force?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the ratio of electric forces between a positively charged nucleus and two negatively charged electrons orbiting it. The suggested method is to use Coulomb's law to calculate the forces and then divide the force on the electron by the force on the nucleus. The question of how to solve the equations when values for q or r are not given is also raised.
atomant
Some help with this question would be much appreciated. A helium atom has a positively charged nucleus (qnucleus = +2e) with two negatively charged electrons (q = -e) orbiting it. What is the ratio of the electric force acting on one of the electrons due to the nucleus to the force acting on the nucleus due to one of the electrons?

How do I go about finding the ratio of the electric force?.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for electric force.

Then try F(n -> e) / F(e -> n).

It's a bit like asking what is the force with which the Earth acts on the moon (or satellite) compared to the moon (or satellite) acting on the earth.

Coulombs law.

Use coulombs law to calculate the forces, then divide the force on the electron by the force on the nucleus.

Regards,
Sam

So I use F=Kq1q2/r^2. O.k, but hiw do I solve the equations when the values for q or r is not given?. I there something we have to assume in terms of calculation in order to solve this?

Related to How do I go about finding the ratio of the electric force?

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric force ratio?

The formula for calculating the electric force ratio is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the electric force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How do I determine the values for q1 and q2 in the electric force ratio equation?

The values for q1 and q2 can be determined by measuring the charges of the objects in question. These charges can be measured using an electric field or by using a device such as a voltmeter or an electroscope.

3. What is the significance of the Coulomb's constant in the electric force ratio formula?

Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a proportionality constant that relates the electric force between two charges to the distance between them. It is a fundamental constant in electrostatics and its value is approximately 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

4. Can the electric force ratio be negative?

Yes, the electric force ratio can be negative. This indicates that the two charges have opposite signs and therefore, the electric force between them is attractive rather than repulsive.

5. How do I use the electric force ratio to determine the direction of the electric force?

The direction of the electric force can be determined using the principle of superposition. This states that the total electric force on a charge is the vector sum of the individual forces exerted by each charge. The direction of the electric force is in the direction of the resultant force vector.