How Do I Integrate cos(x/y) with Respect to y in a Double Integral?

In summary, we have an integral of cos(x/y) dydx, where the first integral is from 0 to 1 with respect to x, and the second integral is from x to 1 with respect to y. This integral cannot be calculated using elementary functions. However, it can be solved by using Fubini to switch the two integrals and integrating with respect to x first. This results in a simpler integral, \int \cos(1/y)dy. Another way to simplify this integral is by using \int_{y=0}^1\int_{x=0}^y cos(x/y) dx dy, which is equivalent to the original integral.
hivesaeed4
Suppose we have:
∫∫ cos(x/y) dydx

where the first integral is of x and is 0→1, while the second is of y and is x→1. Could someone tell me how to get the first integration (i.e. of cos(x/y) w.r.t. y) done??

Physics news on Phys.org
If you wish to calculate the integral

[tex]\int \cos(1/y)dy[/tex]

then it can't be done. This integral can not be calculated using elementary functions.

However, you could use Fubini to switch the two integrals and integrate to x first. Maybe that gives something nice.

[tex]\int_{x= 0}^1\int_{y=x}^1 cos(x/y) dy dx[/tex]
is the same as
[tex]\int_{y=0}^1\int_{x= 0}^y cos(x/y) dx dy[/tex]
and the second is much easier to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\int_{x= 0}^1\int_{y=x}^1 cos(x/y) dy dx[/tex]
is the same as
[tex]\int_{y=0}^1\int_{x= 0}^y cos(x/y} dx dy[/tex]
and the second is much easier to do.

Correction:

[tex]\int_{0}^1\int_{0}^y \cos\left(\dfrac xy\right)\ \mathrm{d}x\ \mathrm{d}y[/tex]

Sure, some of what I just did was a matter of style, but you did run into an error parsing your LaTeX, using cos(x/y} instead of cos(x/y). I suggest you preview all your posts, especially those with LaTeX, before submitting them. Also, use \cos, not cos. (We don't really need those x=0 and y=0 because we already know what we're integrating with respect to from those d's.)

Whovian said:
(We don't really need those x=0 and y=0 because we already know what we're integrating with respect to from those d's.)

This form avoids confusion, especially with people new to integration. I remember my Calc II professor saying once that he changed his teaching method to including the variables of integration because students constantly mixed up variables on exams of his. I'm sure others have had the same problem. Sure, it's obvious that you integrate from the inside out so you don't really need the variables, but it's just like subtracting an integer from two sides of an equation instead of doing the subtraction in your head from step to step or using u-substitution when only constants are involved, etc.

Very true, and they do help to avoid confusion a lot. My point was we don't need those. But we're starting to get a bit off the original question.

Related to How Do I Integrate cos(x/y) with Respect to y in a Double Integral?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region in a two-dimensional space. It is represented by two integral symbols stacked on top of each other.

2. What is the purpose of a double integral?

The purpose of a double integral is to calculate the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. It can also be used to find the area of a region in a two-dimensional space.

3. How is the double integral of cos(x/y) calculated?

The double integral of cos(x/y) is calculated by first setting up the limits of integration for both variables, x and y. Then, the function is integrated with respect to x and y, resulting in an expression with both variables. This expression is then evaluated at the limits to find the final value.

4. What is the significance of cos(x/y) in the double integral?

The function cos(x/y) represents a surface in a three-dimensional space. The double integral of this function can be used to find the volume under this surface, which has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the double integral of cos(x/y)?

Yes, the double integral of cos(x/y) has many real-life applications. Some examples include calculating the mass of a 3D object with varying density, determining the work done by a varying force, and finding the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object.