How do i integrate (cot(x))^2

• Thread starter expscv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the integration formula for (cot(x))^2 is ∫(cot(x))^2 dx = -x - cot(x) + C. To solve this integral, the substitution method can be used by letting u = cot(x) and du = -csc^2(x) dx. The steps for integrating (cot(x))^2 using this method are to rewrite the integral as ∫u^2 du, integrate u^2 using the power rule, and substitute back in u = cot(x) to get the final solution of -cot^3(x)/3 + C. Another method that can be used is the inverse trigonometric substitution method, where x = arccot(u) and dx = -du/(
expscv
hi all, but how do i intergrate

(cot(x))^2

thx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
replace with a trig identity involving cosec^2, and spot that it's the derivative of something.

oh i didnt able to get it,

another one is intergrate sec(x) my answer was Ln(1-t^2) where t=tan(x/2)
but it seems to be wrong

~~i m hopless with intergration anyone could help me imporve? i mean any advice in this field

1. Calculate the derivative of cotan(x)
2. Try to combine this with matt grime's suggestion

There's usually a section under Calc II for trig. integrals.

FAQ: How do i integrate (cot(x))^2

1. What is the integration formula for (cot(x))^2?

The integration formula for (cot(x))^2 is ∫(cot(x))^2 dx = -x - cot(x) + C.

2. How do I solve the integral of (cot(x))^2?

To solve the integral of (cot(x))^2, you can use the substitution method by letting u = cot(x) and du = -csc^2(x) dx. This will result in the integral becoming ∫u^2 du, which can be easily solved using the power rule for integration.

3. What are the steps for integrating (cot(x))^2 using the substitution method?

The steps for integrating (cot(x))^2 using the substitution method are:
1. Let u = cot(x) and du = -csc^2(x) dx.
2. Rewrite the integral as ∫u^2 du.
3. Integrate u^2 using the power rule, resulting in u^3/3.
4. Substitute back in u = cot(x) to get the final solution of -cot^3(x)/3 + C.

4. Can I use any other method to solve the integral of (cot(x))^2?

Yes, you can use the inverse trigonometric substitution method by letting x = arccot(u) and dx = -du/(1+u^2). This will result in the integral becoming ∫(1+u^2)du, which again can be easily solved using the power rule for integration.

5. Is there a special case for the integral of (cot(x))^2?

Yes, there is a special case when x = π/2 + πn, where n is any integer. In this case, the integral of (cot(x))^2 is undefined since cot(π/2 + πn) is undefined. This is because cot(x) is equal to 0 when x = π/2 + πn, making (cot(x))^2 undefined at these points.