How do I measure the "load" in a schematic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of EMF, internal resistance, and load in a circuit. The load is defined as any component that consumes energy or draws current. The first image provided includes all resistances in the circuit, making it overspecified. The second image does not make sense as a guess at the load. It is clarified that the voltmeter would measure the voltage across the entire circuit, including the internal resistance.
Tasdel

Homework Statement

Schematic..PNG

Im doing a project on Emf and internal resistance. I'm just trying to understand what the load would be and where I would put the positive and negative pens on the schematic to find the load.

Homework Equations

Terminal Voltage would be what I have in the image above correct? the 8.24V.
and the EMF is the Voltage of the battery without current passing through which would be 9V. (is that right?)
The load is any resistance as well not including the internal resistance?

The Attempt at a Solution

My tiny bit of understanding on the load is its anything that draws current or uses energy.
This would be my guess at the load.
Schematic 2.PNG

Attachments

• Schematic..PNG
    Schematic..PNG
    36 KB · Views: 778
  • Schematic 2.PNG
    Schematic 2.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
Tasdel said:
what the load would be
The way I understand the term, load refers to one or more components of the circuit. It is not something which has a value. You might want the resistance of a load, or the power it is to consume.

The first image above seems to be overspecified. You have all the resistances in the circuit, including internal resistance, and the nominal voltage. From those you should be able to compute the actual voltage across the terminals, but you are given that as well. So it is not clear to me what you are trying to work out.

I have no idea how your second image constitutes "a guess at the load".

haruspex said:
The way I understand the term, load refers to one or more components of the circuit. It is not something which has a value. You might want the resistance of a load, or the power it is to consume.

The first image above seems to be overspecified. You have all the resistances in the circuit, including internal resistance, and the nominal voltage. From those you should be able to compute the actual voltage across the terminals, but you are given that as well. So it is not clear to me what you are trying to work out.

haruspex said:

The load is is every resistor outside the battery and that means also not the internal resistance. I was thinking because the voltmeter was measuring right next to the negative end of the battery that it was also taking into account the resistance of the battery.

The main question was just asking me to place the voltmeter across the load. So would that be the first image I posted? I am assuming it could be because its getting the whole circuit

Tasdel said:
The main question was just asking me to place the voltmeter across the load. So would that be the first image I posted? I am assuming it could be because its getting the whole circuit
Yes.

Tasdel said:
because the voltmeter was measuring right next to the negative end of the battery that it was also taking into account the resistance of the battery.
No matter where you put the voltmeter (that gives a nonzero reading) the reading will be influenced by the internal resistance. Indeed, the internal resistance would be computable from it.

Likes Tasdel

Related to How do I measure the "load" in a schematic?

1. How do I determine the load value in a schematic?

The load value in a schematic can be determined by analyzing the components connected to the load, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The values of these components can be used in equations to calculate the overall load value.

2. What units are typically used to measure load in a schematic?

The most common units used to measure load in a schematic are ohms (Ω) for resistance, farads (F) for capacitance, and henrys (H) for inductance. These units can also be converted to other units, such as kiloohms (kΩ) or microfarads (μF), for convenience.

3. How does the load affect the overall circuit performance?

The load plays a critical role in determining the performance of a circuit. The load value can affect the voltage and current levels throughout the circuit, as well as the frequency response and stability of the circuit. It is important to carefully select the appropriate load value for optimal circuit performance.

4. Can the load value change over time?

Yes, the load value can change over time due to factors such as temperature, aging of components, or external environmental conditions. This can affect the overall performance of the circuit and may require periodic adjustments or replacements of components to maintain the desired load value.

5. Are there any special considerations when measuring the load in a high-frequency circuit?

Yes, when measuring the load in a high-frequency circuit, the parasitic capacitance and inductance of the measurement equipment and circuit layout must be taken into account. These can affect the accuracy of the measurement and may require specialized techniques, such as using a vector network analyzer, to accurately measure the load value.