How do I parameterize these surfaces?

In summary, the conversation discussed how to parameterize the set S, which consists of S1 and S2. S1 is a surface bounded by the equation x^2+y^2=4 and 2y+z=6, while S2 is a bottom disc. The suggested parametrizations were <2cosu,2sinu,v>, with 0≤u≤2π and 0≤v≤6-2y for S1, and <rcosu,rsinu,0>, with 0≤u≤2π and 0≤r≤2 for S2. It was noted that the parametrization for S1 may need to be adjusted
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

Parameterize ##S={ S }_{ 1 }\bigcup { { S }_{ 2 } } ##, where ##S_1## is the surface with equation ##x^2+y^2=4## bounded above by the graph of ##2y+z=6## and below by the ##xy## plane. ##S_2## is the bottom disk

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##{ S }_{ 1 }=\left< 2cosu,2sinu,v \right> ,0\le u\le 2\pi ,0\le v\le 6-2y\\ { S }_{ 2 }=\left< rcosu,rsinu,0 \right> ,0\le u\le 2\pi ,0\le r\le 2##It doesn't make sense with the z boundaries because ##6-2y## isn't in terms of ##u## and ##v##...would it be ##6-4sinu##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's the idea. I wouldn't know how to parametrize this in one single expression, ecxept also with a ##\cup## symbol (for the disc I would then use different parameter names).

Note: The ##\ 0\le v \le 6-4\sin u \ ## isn't a parametrization yet (imho).

##\LaTeX## note: use \sin and \cos, etc. Much clearer

BvU said:
I think that's the idea. I wouldn't know how to parametrize this in one single expression, ecxept also with a ##\cup## symbol (for the disc I would then use different parameter names).

Note: The ##\ 0\le v \le 6-4\sin u \ ## isn't a parametrization yet (imho).

##\LaTeX## note: use \sin and \cos, etc. Much clearer
this is OK in preparation for a surface integral right? Next I'd compose ##F## (the vector field) with ##S_1## and ##S_2## with two integrals, then dot that with the normal from each parameterization. But it's not clear which normal would I use? Inner or outer? is outer the conventional choice?

What integral ? Have we seen the full problem statement yet ?

Related to How do I parameterize these surfaces?

1. How do I determine the parameters for a surface?

The parameters for a surface can be determined by analyzing the equations or functions that define the surface. These equations will often include variables such as x, y, and z, which can be used to define the parameters of the surface.

2. What is the purpose of parameterizing a surface?

Parameterizing a surface allows us to express the surface in terms of easily adjustable parameters, making it easier to manipulate and analyze mathematically. It also provides a way to represent a complex surface in a simpler form.

3. Can any surface be parameterized?

Yes, any surface can be parameterized as long as it can be defined by a set of equations or functions. However, some surfaces may require more complex parameters or multiple sets of parameters to fully describe them.

4. How do I choose the appropriate parameterization for a surface?

The appropriate parameterization for a surface will depend on its shape and characteristics. In general, it is best to choose parameters that make the equations simpler and easier to work with. It may also be helpful to consider the purpose of the parameterization (e.g. for visualization or mathematical analysis) when choosing parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to parameterizing a surface?

While most surfaces can be parameterized, there may be some limitations or difficulties in finding a suitable parameterization for certain surfaces. For example, some surfaces may require complex or non-linear parameters, which can make calculations more difficult. Additionally, some surfaces may not have a single, unique parameterization and may require multiple parameterizations to fully describe them.