How do I prove the closure and the boundary of a concrete example?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the closure and boundary of a set in R^2 with the Euclidean metric are equal to certain conditions. The speaker suggests using an arbitrary point and a ball to show that it is both in the set and its complement, proving it is a boundary point. They also use the teacher's definition of closure as the intersection of all closed sets containing S to show that the point is in the closure. The conversation also explains the use of vector arithmetic in the proof.
amanda_ou812

Homework Statement

Let X = R2 with the Euclidean metric and let S = {(x1, x2) : x1^2+x2^2 <1}.Prove that Closure of S ={(x1,x2):x1^2+x2^2<= 1} and that the Boundary of S= { (x1, x2) : x1^2 +x2 ^2=1 } .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to prove all my theorems but I don't know how to prove this concrete example. All my theorems just talked about one point in the closure or boundary. I can clearly see from a picture that these are the answers but how do I prove it without a picture?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick P=(x,y) such that x^2+y^2=1. Now take the ball B(P,r). (1-r/2)*P is in the ball and S and (1+r/2)*P is in the ball and outside of S. Can you prove that? That would show P is in boundary of S, right? Does that help?

What does (1-r/2)*P and (1+r/2)*P mean. Its probably something really simple but I am just not seeing it.

Yes, I can see how showing that an arbitrary point that is both in S and in its complement would show that it is a boundary point. Would this method suffice if my teacher uses the definition of boundary as the intersection of the closure of S with the complement of the closure of S?

I suppose I could show that this point is in the closure of S by showing it is in the intersection of all closed sets containing S (which is my teacher's definition of closure). Ok, let me think of how to do that...

amanda_ou812 said:
What does (1-r/2)*P and (1+r/2)*P mean. Its probably something really simple but I am just not seeing it.

Yes, I can see how showing that an arbitrary point that is both in S and in its complement would show that it is a boundary point. Would this method suffice if my teacher uses the definition of boundary as the intersection of the closure of S with the complement of the closure of S?

I suppose I could show that this point is in the closure of S by showing it is in the intersection of all closed sets containing S (which is my teacher's definition of closure). Ok, let me think of how to do that...

P*(1-r/2)=(x,y)*(1-r/2)=(x*(1-r/2),y*(1-r/2)). Just a vector product. Showing points P that are in the boundary of S are the points where every open neighborhood of P contains points that are both in S and outside of S is equivalent to your teachers definition of boundary is a 'proof' question. You said you could do those.

Last edited:
So, how did you choose those numbers? (1-r/2) and (1+r/2). I would like to know so that can learn how to do this type of problem.

And, I show that (1-r/2)P is in B(p, r) by showing that d((1-r/2)p, y)<r and I show that it is in S by showing that (1-r/2)P and y satisfies the condition of S (x1^2+x2^2 <1). And, I show that (1+r/2)P is in B(p, r) by showing that d((1+r/2)p, y)<r and I show that it is in S-complement by showing that (1+r/2)P and y satisfies the condition of S-complement (x1^2+x2^2 >= 1).

amanda_ou812 said:
So, how did you choose those numbers? (1-r/2) and (1+r/2). I would like to know so that can learn how to do this type of problem.

And, I show that (1-r/2)P is in B(p, r) by showing that d((1-r/2)p, y)<r and I show that it is in S by showing that (1-r/2)P and y satisfies the condition of S (x1^2+x2^2 <1). And, I show that (1+r/2)P is in B(p, r) by showing that d((1+r/2)p, y)<r and I show that it is in S-complement by showing that (1+r/2)P and y satisfies the condition of S-complement (x1^2+x2^2 >= 1).

The distance between P and (1-r/2)*P=|P-(1-r/2)*P|=|P||1-(1-r/2)|=(r/2)|P|. |P|=1 since x^2+y^2=1. r/2<r. That means (1-r/2)*P is in B(P,r). I'm just using vector arithmetic on R^2 with the usual norm (i.e. the Euclidean metric). And |(1-r/2)*P|=|1-r/2|*|P| and since |P|=1 and |1-r/2|<1, then (1-r/2)*P is in S. You don't have to square everything out. Just picture multiplying vectors by constants.

Last edited:

Related to How do I prove the closure and the boundary of a concrete example?

1. What is the closure of a set?

The closure of a set is the set of all points that can be reached by taking limit points of the original set. In other words, it is the smallest closed set that contains all the points of the original set.

2. How do I prove the closure of a set?

To prove the closure of a set, you must show that every limit point of the set is included in the closure. This can be done by either showing that every point in the closure is a limit point of the set, or by showing that the set contains all its limit points.

3. What is the boundary of a set?

The boundary of a set is the set of points that are both in the closure and in the complement of the interior of the set. In other words, it is the set of all points that are "on the edge" of the set.

4. How do I prove the boundary of a set?

To prove the boundary of a set, you must show that every point in the boundary is both in the closure and in the complement of the interior of the set. This can be done by showing that the set contains all its boundary points, or by showing that every point in the closure is a boundary point of the set.

5. Can I use a concrete example to prove the closure and boundary of a set?

Yes, you can use a concrete example to prove the closure and boundary of a set. However, it is important to remember that a single example does not prove the general case. It is always recommended to also provide a proof that applies to all sets, rather than just a specific example.