How do I rearrange this equation and make x the subject

• I
  • Thread starter John Connor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rearrange
In summary, to rearrange an equation and make x the subject, you will need to use basic algebraic principles such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and isolating x on one side of the equation. You may also need to use inverse operations, such as addition and subtraction, to move terms to the opposite side of the equation. It is possible to rearrange an equation without changing its value by performing the same operation on both sides. The first step in rearranging an equation is to identify and move terms involving x, followed by other constants or variables. It is important to maintain the correct order of operations and keep track of any changes made to the equation, especially when encountering fractions or decimals.
John Connor
equation is:

k/((j+x)*^(1/2-a))+1=r/(x-1)

Been spending countless hours on trying to figure a way to make x the subject in the equation and haven't got anywhere.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why do you think, it's possible? And what is your goal?

Is it possible? I want to rearrange the equation so the x is by itself.

John Connor said:
Is it possible?
No.

What is "*^"? If it is exponentiation or a combination of complex conjugation and exponentiation, it is impossible (but it could be possible to get approximations in some cases). If it is multiplication, it is possible.

FAQ: How do I rearrange this equation and make x the subject

1. How do I rearrange an equation to make x the subject?

To rearrange an equation and make x the subject, you will need to use basic algebraic principles such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and isolating x on one side of the equation. You may also need to use inverse operations, such as addition and subtraction, to move terms to the opposite side of the equation.

2. Can I rearrange an equation without changing its value?

Yes, you can rearrange an equation without changing its value as long as you perform the same operation to both sides of the equation. This means that you can add, subtract, multiply, or divide both sides by the same number without altering the equation's value.

3. What is the first step in rearranging an equation to make x the subject?

The first step in rearranging an equation to make x the subject is to identify all terms that involve x. Then, you can use inverse operations to move these terms to one side of the equation, while keeping all other terms on the other side. This will leave x isolated on one side and the remaining terms on the other side.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should rearrange an equation?

Yes, there is a specific order in which you should rearrange an equation. It is generally recommended to first rearrange terms involving x, followed by any constants or other variables. It is also important to perform operations in the correct order, following the rules of algebra.

5. What should I do if I encounter fractions or decimals while rearranging an equation?

If you encounter fractions or decimals while rearranging an equation, you can simplify them by finding a common denominator or converting them to the same form. This will make it easier to combine like terms and isolate x. It is important to keep track of any changes made to the equation so that you can maintain its original value.