How do I rearrange this equation?

• Thread starter mstephens88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rearrange
In summary: So the pressure drop would be a constant (linear) function of the pipe length.In summary, Dickfore was trying to solve an equation to find the pressure drop, but was having trouble understanding what tex n frac meant. He was able to solve the equation after learning about tex n frac.
mstephens88
[a]1. How do I make dp the subject?

Q=[(dp/dx)/2k]^(1/n).[pi/(1/n)+3].R^(1/n)+3

^= power of

Please Help

I also have attached the equation.

Thanks
M.Stephens

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your goal ?

I am trying to rearrange to work out dp. To make dp the subject.

If dp/dx stands for the derivative of p with respect to x, you can't just isolate dp [although you could consider dp to be dp/dx * dx. Anyway, you have Q = [(dp/dx)/2k]^(1/n) * S + 3, where S = some stuff. If you set y = dp/dx, can't you see how to solve for y, in terms of Q, S, k and n?

RGV

No the dp = drop in pressure. Does that make a lot of difference.

Thanks
MS

mstephens88 said:
Q=[(dp/dx)/2k]^(1/n).[pi/(1/n)+3].R^(1/n)+3

Why do you write this? Is it:

[tex]
\frac{\pi}{\frac{1}{n}} = n \, \pi
[/tex]

or did you mean something else? Also, there is no attachment.

The equation is for flow rate down a circular tube, in my question i am asked to rearrange the equation to find the pressue drop(dp).

I have attached a picture of the equation.

Thanks

Attachments

• Photo Jun 01, 22 08 07.jpg
    Photo Jun 01, 22 08 07.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 446
You can leave [itex]\left(\frac{dP/dx}{2 k}\right)^{1/n}[/itex] on the r.h.s. and move everything else on the l.h.s.:

[tex]
\frac{\left(3 + \frac{1}{n}\right)}{\pi} \, Q \, R^{-3 - \frac{1}{n}} = \left[\frac{dP/dx}{2 k}\right]^{\frac{1}{n}}
[/tex]

What would be the next step?

sorry Dickfore but that doesn't make n e sense to me?

What does tex n frac mean?

Does the equation in the attachment look correct?

Attachments

• 256070_10150623946970254_672755253_19111298_7000250_o.jpg
    256070_10150623946970254_672755253_19111298_7000250_o.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 425
mstephens88 said:
In post #8, Dickfore multiplied both sides of the equation by the reciprocal of what was multiplying [(dP/dx)/(2k)]^(1/n).

mstephens88 said:
What does tex n frac mean?
He is using LaTeX commands to format the equation.
mstephens88 said:
No the dp = drop in pressure. Does that make a lot of difference.
I'm almost certain you are wrong here. dP/dx is a derivative, which in this case means the rate of change in pressure per unit of pipe length. dP would be the differential of the pressure.

Also, it's given in this problem that n = 0.5, so 1/n = 2. Making that substitution would simplify some of the exponents and fractions in your equation.

Last edited:
mstephens88 said:

You should enable JavaScript in your browser to look at the rendered equations. Click Refresh/Reload.

I think it should be done simpler in this case. Replace the infinitesimal change with a finite change ([itex]\alpha\equiv n^{-1}[/itex]):

[tex]Q=\left(\frac{\Delta P}{2k\Delta x}\right)^\alpha\frac{\pi R^{\alpha+3}}{\alpha+3}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\Delta P=2k\Delta x\left(\frac{(\alpha+3)Q}{\pi R^{\alpha+3}}\right)^{1/\alpha}[/tex]

Filling in all numerical values should give you the pressure drop.

Ok yes think I've got the correct answer, i do apologise it was the derivative of pressure. thank you all for your help.
MS

Sybren said:
I think it should be done simpler in this case. Replace the infinitesimal change with a finite change

Actually, there is no approxmation here, since the pressure is a linear function of the pipe length and the slope is constant.

FAQ: How do I rearrange this equation?

1. How do I rearrange an equation to solve for a specific variable?

To rearrange an equation, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to move terms from one side of the equation to the other. It is important to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain its equality.

2. What is the order of operations for rearranging an equation?

The order of operations for rearranging an equation is similar to that of solving an equation. First, simplify any terms within parentheses or brackets. Then, use inverse operations to move any constants to the opposite side of the equation. Next, move any terms with the variable you want to solve for to the same side. Finally, use inverse operations again to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.

3. Can I add or subtract terms on both sides of the equation?

Yes, you can add or subtract terms on both sides of an equation as long as you perform the same operation on both sides. This maintains the equality of the equation and allows you to rearrange it to solve for a specific variable.

4. How do I solve for a variable that is on both sides of the equation?

If the variable you want to solve for appears on both sides of the equation, you can use inverse operations to move all of the terms with that variable to one side of the equation. Then, you can use the distributive property to factor out the variable and solve for it.

5. What do I do if the equation has fractions or decimals?

To rearrange an equation with fractions or decimals, you can first multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator of the fraction or by a power of 10 to eliminate any decimals. Then, you can follow the usual steps for rearranging an equation. Remember to simplify any fractions before solving for the variable.