How Do I Simplify Fractions Using Surds in the Summation Formula?

In summary, we can compute the series S_{2012} by rationalizing the denominator of the expression a_n and using the fact that it is a telescoping series. The final answer is S_{2012}=\frac{1}{2}-(\sqrt{2013}-\sqrt{2012}).
Albert1
$ a_n=(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt n+\sqrt {n-1}})\times(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt {n+1}+\sqrt {n-1}})\times(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt {n+1}+\sqrt n}) $
$S_n=a_1+a_2+a_3+-------+a_n$
$find:\,\, S_{2012}$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rationalizing the denominator of the expression \(\displaystyle a_n\) we get:

$ a_n=\left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt n+\sqrt {n-1}}\cdot \dfrac {\sqrt n-\sqrt {n-1}}{\sqrt n-\sqrt {n-1}}\right)\times\left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt {n+1}+\sqrt {n-1}}\cdot \dfrac {\sqrt {n+1}-\sqrt {n-1}}{\sqrt {n+1}-\sqrt {n-1}}\right)\times\left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt {n+1}+\sqrt {n}}\cdot \dfrac {\sqrt {n+1}-\sqrt {n}}{\sqrt {n+1}-\sqrt {n}}\right) $

$ a_n=\left(\dfrac {\sqrt {n}-\sqrt {n-1}}{1}\right)\times \left(\dfrac {\sqrt {n}-\sqrt {n+1}}{-1}\right) \times \left(\dfrac {\sqrt {n+1}-\sqrt {n-1}}{2}\right)$$ a_n=-\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n-1}-2\sqrt{n}\right)$

$ a_n=-\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}\right)+\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{n}-\sqrt{n-1}\right)$

This is clearly a telescoping series and to compute \(\displaystyle S_{2012}\), we get:

\(\displaystyle S_{2012}=-\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt {2013}-\sqrt {1})+\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{2012}-0)\)

\(\displaystyle S_{2012}=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{2013}-\sqrt{2012})\)

Last edited:
anemone said:
Rationalizing the denominator of the expression \(\displaystyle a_n\) we get:$ a_n=-\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n-1}-2\sqrt{n}\right)$

$ a_n=-\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}\right)+\dfrac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{n}-\sqrt{n-1}\right)$

This is clearly a telescoping series and to compute \(\displaystyle S_{2012}\), we get:

\(\displaystyle S_{2012}=-\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt {2013}-\sqrt {1})+\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{2012}-0)\)

\(\displaystyle S_{2012}=\frac{1}{2}-(\sqrt{2013}-\sqrt{2012})-------(last \,\, step)\)
your last step is incorrect ,a typo happens

Albert said:
your last step is incorrect ,a typo happens

Yep, you're right Albert...I left off \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) in front of the surds, I'm sorry and I will fix my first post so that I get the correct answer to this problem.

To simplify fractions using surds in the summation formula, we first need to understand what surds are. Surds are numbers that cannot be simplified into exact fractions, such as square roots, cube roots, etc. In the given summation formula, we can see that each term contains surds in the denominator.

To simplify these fractions, we can use the concept of rationalizing the denominator. This means multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same number to eliminate the surd in the denominator. In this case, we can multiply each term by the conjugate of the denominator, which is obtained by changing the sign between the two surds.

For example, for the first term, we can multiply both the numerator and denominator by $\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n-1}$. This will result in the denominator becoming a difference of squares, which can be simplified.

After simplifying each term in the summation formula, we can then add them together to find the value of $S_{2012}$. This can be done by using a calculator or by simplifying the fractions further to obtain a final value.

In conclusion, to simplify fractions using surds in the summation formula, we need to rationalize the denominator by multiplying it with the conjugate of the surd. This will help us simplify the fractions and find the value of the given summation.

FAQ: How Do I Simplify Fractions Using Surds in the Summation Formula?

What is the definition of simplifying fractions?

Simplifying fractions is the process of reducing a fraction to its simplest form by dividing both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor.

Why is it important to simplify fractions?

Simplifying fractions makes them easier to work with and compare. It also helps in reducing errors and making calculations more efficient.

How do you simplify fractions?

To simplify a fraction, find the greatest common factor of the numerator and denominator and divide both by that number. The resulting fraction is the simplest form of the original fraction.

What is the greatest common factor?

The greatest common factor (GCF) is the largest number that can evenly divide both the numerator and denominator of a fraction without leaving a remainder.

What happens to the value of a fraction when simplified?

The value of a fraction remains the same when it is simplified. Simplifying a fraction only changes its appearance, not its numerical value.

Back