How do I sketch waves at a boundary with a fixed and free end?

In summary, the conversation discusses a wave pulse on a string with a given wave speed and dimensions at t=0. The task is to draw the total wave on the string at various time intervals and for different conditions, including when the end of the string is free to slide along a pole. The solution involves calculating the movement of the graph and taking into account wave reflections at the fixed end.
Nicknacks
Hi, so I have this question:

A wave pulse on a string has the dimensions shown in the figure (Figure 1) at t = 0. The wave speed is 40 cm/s.
a) Draw the total wave on the string at t=15ms, 20ms 25ms, 30ms, 35ms, 40ms and 45ms. b) repeat part (a) for the case in which the end of the string is free to slide along a pole.
I can do part a for 15ms and 20ms but not sure about the rest.http://oi55.tinypic.com/25khmc0.jpg

I get that i need to for example:
400mm/s * 25*10^-3 = 10

so the graph moves towards the left by 10mm but the end point can only move 8mm before it reaches the fixed point so how would i draw it?

Also how would i do part b?

The graph is show belowhttps://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/1050e382d8554e5b838204097000f963_A.png?a=answers&mr=0&x=1447003459&s=affee6d379f3c547fcb47aaf2aab461b Thanx:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to think about wave reflections is to regard the fixed end as superimposing a wave of the same speed, amplitude and frequency in the opposite direction. The phase is such that the sum of the two waves at that end point is always zero.
Does that help?

Yes, thanks.

Related to How do I sketch waves at a boundary with a fixed and free end?

1. What is meant by "sketching waves at a boundary"?

"Sketching waves at a boundary" refers to the process of drawing a diagram or graph that illustrates the behavior of waves as they encounter a boundary or interface between two different materials or environments.

2. Why is it important to be able to sketch waves at a boundary?

Sketching waves at a boundary allows scientists to visualize and understand how waves behave in different situations, which can help in predicting and explaining phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction.

3. What factors influence the behavior of waves at a boundary?

The behavior of waves at a boundary is influenced by several factors, including the properties of the two materials or environments that the waves are traveling through, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength and frequency of the waves.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the behavior of waves at a boundary?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the incoming wave strikes the boundary, determines the angle at which the reflected and refracted waves will travel. A steeper angle of incidence will result in a more dramatic change in direction for the reflected and refracted waves.

5. Can waves be transmitted through a boundary?

Yes, waves can be transmitted through a boundary. This occurs when a portion of the wave's energy passes through the boundary and continues traveling in the same direction, while the rest of the wave's energy is either reflected or refracted.