How do I solve a differential equation with boundary conditions?

In summary, the conversation involves evaluating the derivative of y_2/y_1 and looking at the quotient rule. The numerator is found to be 0, leading to the conclusion that y_1=y_2 for all x. The conversation also discusses boundary conditions and the use of constants.
Ted123

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7427/diff5.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I evaluate [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{y_2}{y_1} \right)[/itex] ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ted123 said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7427/diff5.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I evaluate [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{y_2}{y_1} \right)[/itex] ?

Have you considered looking at the quotient rule? It seems at first glance like the numerator would be similar to W[y_1,y_2].

Then you could see that the integral of that might be a constant, and that you might be able to deduce that constant at the boundaries, and if that constant happened to be 1, then y_1 / y_2 would be 1, in which case y_1=y_2, for all x.

Last edited by a moderator:
So

[itex]y_2 = \frac{y_1 y_2^'}{y_1^'}[/itex]

and

[itex]y_1 = \frac{y_2 y_1^'}{y_2^'}[/itex]

So we want to find:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{y_2}{y_1} \right) = \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{y_1 {y_2^'}^2}{y_2 {y_1^'}^2} \right)[/itex]

Letting [itex]u = y_1 {y_2^'}^2[/itex] and [itex]v = y_2 {y_1^'}^2[/itex]

what is [itex]u'[/itex] and [itex]v'[/itex]?

Calculate the derivitive directly:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}\bigg(\frac{y_2}{y_1}\bigg)=\frac{y_2'y_1-y_2y_1'}{y_1^2}[\latex]

If we look at the numerator, it is 0. Therefore

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}\bigg(\frac{y_2}{y_1}\bigg)=0[\latex]

Therefore

[itex]\bigg(\frac{y_2}{y_1}\bigg)=C for all x[\latex]

Where C is some constant.

Look at the boundery condition at x_0,

[itex]\bigg(\frac{y_2(x_0)}{y_1(x_0)}\bigg)=1, as y_1(x_0)=y_2(x_0)[\latex]

thus C=1,

Thus

[itex]\bigg(\frac{y_2}{y_1}\bigg)=1 for all x [\latex]

Which implies that y_1=y_2 for all x!

I can't get the latex to work...
But I hope the point is clear.

Calculate the derivitive directly:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}\bigg(\frac{y_2}{y_1}\bigg)=\frac{y_2' y_1-y_2y_1'}{y_1^2}[/itex]

If we look at the numerator, it is 0. Therefore

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}\bigg(\frac{y_2}{y_1}\bigg)=0[/itex]

Therefore

[itex]\frac{y_2}{y_1}=C=\text{const}[/itex] for all x.

Where C is some constant.

Look at the boundery condition at x_0,

[itex]\bigg(\frac{y_2(x_0)}{y_1(x_0)}\bigg)=1[/itex], as [itex]y_1(x_0)=y_2(x_0)[/itex]

thus C=1,

Thus

[itex]\frac{y_2}{y_1} =1[/itex] for all x

Which implies that y_1=y_2 for all x!

I can't get the latex to work...
But I hope the point is clear.

Thanks!

The latex wouldn't work as you should end it with [/itex] not [\latex] !

FAQ: How do I solve a differential equation with boundary conditions?

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rates of change of a function to the function itself. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function at a given point.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. ODEs also have a single solution, while PDEs have a family of solutions.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. Some examples include population dynamics, chemical reactions, fluid flow, and electrical circuits.

How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on the type of equation. Some techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. In some cases, a numerical solution may be necessary.

What is the importance of boundary conditions in solving a differential equation?

Boundary conditions are essential in solving differential equations because they provide additional information about the problem and help determine the specific solution. They also ensure that the solution is valid within a given domain.

Back