How do I solve for weight in an impact loading problem using relevant equations?

• Thread starter danief
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, the problem involves finding the weight of a child on a spring using the relevant equations Fe = W(1+\sqrt{1+2h/\deltast} and \deltast = W/k. The correct approach is to convert all measurements to a coherent system and then solve for the weight using the given values for h, Fe, and k.
danief

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/CnAcu.png

Homework Equations

So, I'm having trouble figuring out how to start this problem.

I'm trying to use this equation:

Fe = W(1+[itex]\sqrt{1+2h/\deltast}[/itex]

and [itex]\delta[/itex]st = W/k

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt at summing the forces:

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = 100 lbf/in * [itex]\delta[/itex] + Weight of childThanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
danief said:

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/CnAcu.png

Homework Equations

So, I'm having trouble figuring out how to start this problem.

I'm trying to use this equation:

Fe = W(1+[itex]\sqrt{1+2h/\deltast}[/itex]

and [itex]\delta[/itex]st = W/k

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt at summing the forces:

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = 100 lbf/in * [itex]\delta[/itex] + Weight of childThanks
You should first calculate the spring deformation under 400 pounds of max force in the spring, using Hooke's law. Then use conservation of energy equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
danief said:

Homework Equations

So, I'm having trouble figuring out how to start this problem. I'm trying to use these equations:

Fe = W*{1 + sqrt[1 + (2*h/deltast)]}

deltast = W/k
danief: Your relevant equations are correct; and they are not a function of maximum deflection. You can change your approach as PhanthomJay suggests; or you can instead just use the approach you already started writing in your relevant equations, as follows.

First, convert everything to a coherent measurement system. Next, the problem statement gives you h = 0.1016 m, Fe = 1779.2886 N, and spring constant k. Now simply solve your relevant equation for weight W. You are done.

(By the way, ignore your attempt at summing forces in part 3 of post 1, which is incorrect.) Also, please do not post wide images directly to the forum page. Just post a text link to wide images.

FAQ: How do I solve for weight in an impact loading problem using relevant equations?

What is impact loading?

Impact loading is a type of load that occurs when an object experiences a sudden and forceful impact, such as in a collision or when landing after jumping on a pogo stick.

How does impact loading affect the body?

When impact loading occurs, the body experiences a sudden and intense force which can cause damage to tissues, bones, and joints. This can lead to injuries such as sprains, strains, and fractures.

What is the relationship between impact loading and pogo stick use?

Pogo sticks are designed to absorb the impact of jumping, making them a popular choice for activities that involve impact loading. However, excessive or improper use of a pogo stick can still lead to injuries, especially if proper safety precautions are not taken.

Can impact loading be beneficial for the body?

In controlled and appropriate amounts, impact loading can be beneficial for the body as it helps to strengthen bones and muscles. However, it is important to always use caution and proper technique to avoid injury.

What are some safety measures to take when using a pogo stick?

Some safety measures to take when using a pogo stick include always wearing protective gear, choosing a suitable location for jumping, and ensuring that the pogo stick is in good condition. It is also important to follow proper techniques and to not attempt jumps that are beyond your skill level.

Back