How Do I Solve Polynomial Problem #19?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary: For example: ##(2x + ?)\times(3x + ?)## gives ##6x^2 + ... ##and ##(?x + 1)\times(?x + 25)## gives ## ?x^2 +?x + 25##
yungman
I have problem solving this. The question is #19 in the first attachment. My work is in the second attachment
binomial.jpg

I work to this point and get stuck:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/270843

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How many roots does a parabola have if it can be written as product of two binomials? How many does it have if it cannot?

mfb said:
How many roots does a parabola have if it can be written as product of two binomials? How many does it have if it cannot?
I really don't know, this is a question from my grand daughter and this caught me cold. I am ashamed!

I set the equation to zero to get two roots.

In the Quadratic Formula, if the discriminant (the expression under the radical, ##b^2 - 4ac##) is positive, there will be two distinct roots. If the discriminant equals zero, there is one repeated root. If the discriminant is negative, there are no real roots (two complex roots).

yungman said:
I have problem solving this. The question is #19 in the first attachment. My work is in the second attachment
View attachment 270842

I work to this point and get stuck:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/270843

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
This appears to be from a set of exercises for a lesson on factoring.

There are several methods for factoring a trinomial such as this. What method or methods have your granddaughter studied?

SammyS said:
This appears to be from a set of exercises for a lesson on factoring.

There are several methods for factoring a trinomial such as this. What method or methods have your granddaughter studied?
I have to get hold of her. thanks

I made a mistake on the denominators in my first post, it should be 12 instead of 2. I tried to edit that, but it asked to put in the relevant formula. I can't find how to write formula here. I used to be able to write formula so I don't have to write on paper and scan it in. Seems like it changed since 10 years ago when I was active here.

Can anyone give me a hint how to look at it? I talked to her, she have not even learn the b^2-4ac stuffs. I don't know why she's even given this problem.

I am really not interested in this, I am drowning on my C++ programming already, just want to resolve this and help her on this one. I haven't even have a chance to work on my C++ today yet!

Thanks

I have been looking at the question, the only values of t to get 2 binomials is this:
Binomial2.jpg

Is this right?

yungman said:
I have to get hold of her. thanks

I made a mistake on the denominators in my first post, it should be 12 instead of 2. I tried to edit that, but it asked to put in the relevant formula. I can't find how to write formula here. I used to be able to write formula so I don't have to write on paper and scan it in. Seems like it changed since 10 years ago when I was active here.
I suppose that you are referring to the quadratic formula:
The solution to the general quadratic equation: ##ax^2+bx+c=0 ##
is given by ##x = \dfrac{ -b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac} }{2a} ##

So, yes, you left the factor of ##a## out of the denominator. In this case ##a=6##.

In addition to what @Mark44 said, if ##b^2-4ac## is a perfect square, then ##ax^2+bx+c ## can be written as the product of two binomials. For your (granddaughter's) problem, you need ##t^2-600## to be a perfect square, (as well as being positive, of course).
This problem may be done this way, but it will be quite cumbersome. There are at least 6 possible values for t.

Another way to do this is to systematically find all of the pairs of binomials product give ##6x^2## for the leading term and ##25## for the constant term.

For example: ##(2x + ?)\times(3x + ?)## gives ##6x^2 + ... ##

and ##(?x + 1)\times(?x + 25)## gives ## ?x^2 +?x + 25##

@SammyS: Why would you want it to be a perfect square? No one required rational roots or any other special requirement.

SammyS said:
I suppose that you are referring to the quadratic formula:
The solution to the general quadratic equation: ##ax^2+bx+c=0 ##
is given by ##x = \dfrac{ -b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac} }{2a} ##

So, yes, you left the factor of ##a## out of the denominator. In this case ##a=6##.

In addition to what @Mark44 said, if ##b^2-4ac## is a perfect square, then ##ax^2+bx+c ## can be written as the product of two binomials. For your (granddaughter's) problem, you need ##t^2-600## to be a perfect square, (as well as being positive, of course).
This problem may be done this way, but it will be quite cumbersome. There are at least 6 possible values for t.

Another way to do this is to systematically find all of the pairs of binomials product give ##6x^2## for the leading term and ##25## for the constant term.

For example: ##(2x + ?)\times(3x + ?)## gives ##6x^2 + ... ##

and ##(?x + 1)\times(?x + 25)## gives ## ?x^2 +?x + 25##
I use your logic to have this, but I have 4 variables A, B, C and D, and I cannot solve it.
##(Ax+B)(Cx+D)=6x^2 + tx + 25##
It would be nice to do this instead of using

##x = \dfrac{ -b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac} }{2a} ##

She have not learn this formula, it would be nice to have a way to do this without

Last edited:
mfb said:
@SammyS: Why would you want it to be a perfect square? No one required rational roots or any other special requirement.
Looking at the other exercises in the image in the OP, I conclude that these exercises have to do with factoring trinomials into the product of binomials, all with integer coefficients.

yungman said:
I use your logic to have this, but I have 4 variables A, B, C and D, and I cannot solve it.
##(Ax+B)(Cx+D)=6x^2 + tx + 25##
It would be nice to do this instead of using

Correct. You have ##(Ax+B)(Cx+D)=6x^2 + tx + 25##.

But A and C are related: ##A\cdot C = 6##. Also ##B\cdot D = 25##.

Now get systematic.
With A = 1 and C = 6, let B = 1 and D =25, and multiply ##(x+1)(6x+25) ## to get ##t##.

Then let B = 5 and D =5, and multiply ##(x+5)(6x+5) ## to get another value for ##t##.

Then let B = 25 and D = 1 ... . Don't forget, B and D can both be negative.

Now consider A = 2 and C = 3. Run through the cases for B and D again.

When can you stop?

SammyS said:
Correct. You have ##(Ax+B)(Cx+D)=6x^2 + tx + 25##.

But A and C are related: ##A\cdot C = 6##. Also ##B\cdot D = 25##.

Now get systematic.
With A = 1 and C = 6, let B = 1 and D =25, and multiply ##(x+1)(6x+25) ## to get ##t##.

Then let B = 5 and D =5, and multiply ##(x+5)(6x+5) ## to get another value for ##t##.

Then let B = 25 and D = 1 ... . Don't forget, B and D can both be negative.

Now consider A = 2 and C = 3. Run through the cases for B and D again.

When can you stop?
Ok, I expanded these out:
Binomial 3.jpg

I see the relation, I connected the pairs with same value of t. These are all the combination. But what does these means?

Does this means t = 25, 31, 35, 53, 77 and 151 all work?

Last edited:
yungman said:
Ok, I expanded these out:
View attachment 270852

I see the relation, I connected the pairs with same value of t. These are all the combination. But what does these means?

Does this means t = 25, 31, 35, 77 and 151 all work?
Yes. Also 53 .

Additionally, t can be the negative of each of these.

Likes yungman
SammyS said:
Yes. Also 53 .

Additionally, t can be the negative of each of these.
Thanks, I missed the 53 when I read my notes. It's there also. I put it back in the last post already.

Thanks

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you can also have binomial products such as ##(3x-1)(2x-25)##, which gives ##t=-77##.

SammyS said:
Looking at the other exercises in the image in the OP, I conclude that these exercises have to do with factoring trinomials into the product of binomials, all with integer coefficients.
I don't share that interpretation.

Thanks for the help.

Actually after sitting on it for a day, I really feel the answer in my post #8 is more accurate. I understand the answer in post #15 looks better with integer coef for x.

BUT, this is NOT the full set of answer. Remember, coef for both x and 25 can be fraction, the requirement is just to have the final coef of x to be 6 and final number is 25. Also, coef of x in the two binomial can be of different polarity also, that complicate the situation even more. The few values in post #15 is ONLY a very small SUBSET of the value t can take on.

I still believe the answer in post #8 is the ONLY correct answer. Grand daughter just has to learn the Quadratic Formula quick and use it.

Thanks

Any comment?

yungman said:
Any comment?
Since there isn't any restriction given in the problem statement about solutions being integers or rational numbers, the solution in post #8 looks fine to me.

However, I would simplify things a bit.
$$t \ge 10\sqrt 6 \text{ or } t \le -10\sqrt 6$$
If ##t = \pm 10\sqrt 6## then the binomial will have two repeated factors; i.e., it will have the form ##6(x - a)^2##.

Likes yungman
Mark44 said:
Since there isn't any restriction given in the problem statement about solutions being integers or rational numbers, the solution in post #8 looks fine to me.

However, I would simplify things a bit.
$$t \ge 10\sqrt 6 \text{ or } t \le -10\sqrt 6$$
If ##t = \pm 10\sqrt 6## then the binomial will have two repeated factors; i.e., it will have the form ##6(x - a)^2##.
Thanks, I'll tell her to read this thread.

Related to How Do I Solve Polynomial Problem #19?

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It can have one or more terms, and the highest exponent of the variable is called the degree of the polynomial.

2. How do I solve a polynomial problem?

To solve a polynomial problem, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or long division. The method you choose will depend on the type of polynomial and the instructions given in the problem.

3. What is the order of operations for solving a polynomial?

The order of operations for solving a polynomial is to first simplify any parentheses or brackets, then perform any exponent operations, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a polynomial problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a polynomial problem. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used to solve the problem manually before relying on a calculator.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a polynomial problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a polynomial problem include forgetting to apply the order of operations, making errors in factoring, and forgetting to include all possible solutions. It is important to double-check your work and carefully follow the instructions given in the problem.