How do I solve the Diophantine equation $4x+51y=9$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a Diophantine equation is an equation with integer variables and solutions. It can be identified by the use of whole number values and solved by rearranging the equation and plugging in different values for the variables. Diophantine equations have been studied for centuries and have applications in various fields of mathematics. Some strategies for solving them include factoring, substitution, and using modular arithmetic. It can also be helpful to start with simple solutions and build upon them.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Solve the Diophantine equation $4x+51y=9$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to kaliprasad for two correct solutions. I post one of them here for you:

Because $\gcd(51,4)=1,$ a solution exists for the same.

Find $1$ as a combination of $51$ and $4$ using the Extended Euclidean Algorithm:

$51=12∗4+3$ or $3=51−12∗4$

$4=3∗1+1$ or $1=4−3=4−(51−12∗4)=13∗4−51∗1$

So $9= 4 * 2 + 1 = 4 * 2 + (13 * 4 - 1 * 51) = 15 * 4 - 1 *51$.

So $x = 15, y = -1$ is a solution of the same, as $51 * 4 - 4 * 51 = 0$; so adding $51t$ to $x$ and subtracting $4t$ from $y$ will not change $4x+51y$. So $x=15+51t$, $y=−1−4t$ is the solution set, where $t$ is any integer.

Related to How do I solve the Diophantine equation $4x+51y=9$?

1. What is a Diophantine equation?

A Diophantine equation is a type of equation where the variables must be integers (whole numbers) and the solutions must also be integers. In other words, the equation can only be solved using whole number values.

2. How do I know if an equation is a Diophantine equation?

An equation is considered a Diophantine equation if it meets the criteria of having integer variables and requiring integer solutions. For example, the equation 2x + 3y = 6 is a Diophantine equation since it can only be solved using whole number values.

3. How do I solve a Diophantine equation?

To solve a Diophantine equation, you must first rearrange the equation to isolate one of the variables. Then, you can plug in different values for the other variable until you find a solution that satisfies the equation. This process may require trial and error, but there are also specific methods and algorithms that can be used for more complex Diophantine equations.

4. What is the importance of Diophantine equations in mathematics?

Diophantine equations have been studied for centuries and have applications in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebra, and geometry. They also have practical applications in fields such as computer science and cryptography.

5. Are there any strategies or tips for solving Diophantine equations?

Some strategies for solving Diophantine equations include factoring, substitution, and using modular arithmetic. It can also be helpful to start by looking for small or simple solutions and then building upon them to find larger or more complex solutions. Practice and familiarity with different types of Diophantine equations can also make solving them easier.