How Do I Solve These Complex Contour Integrals?

In summary, the conversation is about two integrals that the person is having trouble solving. The first integral involves a contour integral and the person is unsure how to evaluate it using a change of variable. They mention that the function is not analytic and they are not sure how to express z_bar and (abs(z))^2. The second integral involves evaluating a function over a rectangle, but the person is unsure how to start because the function is not analytic inside the rectangle. They mention that they have not covered residues yet.
drinkycrow
Hello all. I've been browsing your forums for similar problems that might help me with these two integrals, but alas i am still stumped. please help me understand and solve these integrals! also please forgive my notation; the Latex controls aren't working for me.

Homework Statement

Determine the contour integral:

c.int(z_bar*(abs(z))^2)dz over the contour C which encloses the domain

abs(x^2-y^2) <=1 , 1<=xy<=2 , x>0. oriented in the clockwise direction.

z = x + iy. Hint: use the change of variable w=z^2

(here, z_bar is the complex conjugate of z, abs(z)^2 is (modulus of z)^2, and <= is less than or equal to.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i understand the domain; it's in the first quadrant, each side part of a hyperbola, corners at (x,y) ~ (1.25,1.6), (1.6,1.25), (1.272,0.786), (0.786,1.272). so, f(z) here is not analytic, because the Cauchy-Riemann conditions aren't satisfied, right? Beyond this, I'm not sure how to start evaluating the integral; i really don't understand the hint in the first place. ie - if w=z^2, how do i express z_bar and (abs(z))^2? and then what good does this do me on the contour?

Second:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral

c.int(g(z)*exp(z)/(sin(z))dz , where g(z) = (z+4)/(z-4)

over the counter-clockwise rectangle C with corners at -2-i, -2+i, 2+i, 2-i.

The Attempt at a Solution

so this one isn't analytic inside the rectangle, right? because the domain includes z=0. so how do i even start?!

i've been staring at these equations and books for hours, so any help is much appreciated! i guess i might also mention that we haven't covered residues yet. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.differentiate w and transform variables...?
2.evaluate the residue...?

FAQ: How Do I Solve These Complex Contour Integrals?

What are complex integrals?

Complex integrals are integrals that involve complex numbers in their integrands or limits. They are used to solve problems in complex analysis and have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

How are complex integrals evaluated?

Complex integrals are evaluated using techniques such as Cauchy's integral theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, and residue calculus. These techniques involve using the properties of complex numbers and complex functions to simplify the integration process.

What is the difference between a real integral and a complex integral?

A real integral deals with real numbers and is evaluated along the real number line. A complex integral, on the other hand, deals with complex numbers and is evaluated along a complex contour in the complex plane. Complex integrals are more general and powerful than real integrals as they can handle functions that are not defined on the real number line.

What are some applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have various applications in physics, such as in the study of electric fields and fluid flow. They are also used in signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics. In mathematics, complex integrals are used to prove theorems and solve problems in complex analysis.

What are some common challenges in solving complex integrals?

Some common challenges in solving complex integrals include dealing with singularities, choosing the appropriate contour for integration, and evaluating the residues of complex functions. It is also important to be familiar with the properties of complex numbers and functions in order to simplify the integration process.