How Do I Solve These Quantum Mechanics Problems from Binney's Textbook?

In summary, the conversation discussed various problems from a quantum mechanics textbook. These included problems 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, and 2.9. For problem 2.3, the discussion focused on the expected value of an observable in a quantum state and the probability of a particular value occurring in that state. In problem 2.5, the equations for calculating the expected values of position and momentum were discussed. In problem 2.8, the group was unsure of how to approach the problem. Finally, problem 2.9 introduced Ehrenfest's theorem and the group was unsure how to proceed with it. More work and research is needed to fully understand these problems.
pierce15

Homework Statement

http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/JamesBinney/qb.pdf[/PLAIN]

page 42 in pdf (34 in the book)

problems 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 2.9 (there are more but I'll start with these)

Homework Equations

I'll just include these for particular problems

The Attempt at a Solution

a. ## \langle \psi | Q | \psi \rangle ## is the expected value of Q in the quantum state ## | \psi \rangle ##; ## | \langle q_n | \psi \rangle | ^2 ## - probability of ##q_n## occurring in state ## | \psi \rangle ##

b. the first operator is the identity operator, the second is the "observable" operator (bad phrasing?)

c. ## u_n (x) = \langle x | q_n \rangle ##, so ## \langle q_n | \psi \rangle = u_n^*(\psi) ##; I'm not really sure where to go from there

a. ## \langle x \rangle = \langle \psi | \hat{x} | \psi \rangle ##

b. ## \langle x^2 \rangle = \langle \psi | \hat{x}^2 | \psi \rangle ##

c. ## \langle p_x \rangle = \langle \psi | \hat{p} | \psi \rangle##

I won't bother writing down the last one because I'm pretty sure those are wrong anyway2.8- i don't know where to start with this problem, sorry2.9

Ehrenfest's theorem:

$$ i \hbar \frac{d}{dt} \langle \psi | Q | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | [ Q, H ] | \psi \rangle + i \hbar \langle \psi | \frac{dQ}{dt} | \psi \rangle $$

I'm not sure where to go from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest devoting one thread per problem rather than trying to discuss all of them at once.

You also need to show more work. We can't do your homework here but we can't help get you out of a bind so do a little more research and show more work.

Related to How Do I Solve These Quantum Mechanics Problems from Binney's Textbook?

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

What are quantum mechanics problems?

Quantum mechanics problems are mathematical and conceptual questions that explore the principles and theories of quantum mechanics, often involving complex calculations and thought experiments.

Why are quantum mechanics problems important?

Quantum mechanics problems are important because they help us understand and predict the behavior of matter and energy at a small scale, which is crucial for advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

What are some common quantum mechanics problems?

Some common quantum mechanics problems include calculating the energy levels and probabilities of particles in a system, understanding the behavior of particles in a potential well, and solving the Schrödinger equation for various systems.

How can I solve quantum mechanics problems?

To solve quantum mechanics problems, you must have a strong understanding of the principles and equations of quantum mechanics, as well as strong mathematical skills. It also helps to have a deep understanding of the physical concepts and to approach the problems systematically and logically.

Back