How do I solve this difficult L'Hopital problem using fractions and derivatives?

• Thread starter Frillth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    l'hopital
In summary, the individual is asking for help with solving a math problem involving a limit and using L'Hopital's rule. They are unsure of how to manipulate the given expression and find its derivative. The desired answer is e^(2/pi). Some suggestions are given, including using a substitution and applying log rules. Another individual offers a possible solution involving a substitution and the use of l'Hopital's rule.
Frillth
I got the following problem in my math class:

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7508/limitdv4.jpg

I know that I'm supposed to use L'Hopital's rule, but I have 2 problems. First of all, I don't know how to make that into a fraction, besides putting it all over 1 or making tan negative and putting it under 1. Also, I have no idea how to even find the derivative of that mess.

I know that the answer is e^(2/pi), but I'd like to know how to get it.

Can anybody help me, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right now it is in indeterminate form, so first thing you will have to do is figure out how to fix that since L'Hopital only works for (inf/inf) and (0/0). You might try making some function i.e. L(x) equal to that limit. Then perhaps use log rules and such. I haven't actually worked it out to see if that would work since that is your job, but play around and you will get it.

Frillth said:
I got the following problem in my math class:

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7508/limitdv4.jpg

I know that I'm supposed to use L'Hopital's rule, but I have 2 problems. First of all, I don't know how to make that into a fraction, besides putting it all over 1 or making tan negative and putting it under 1. Also, I have no idea how to even find the derivative of that mess.

I know that the answer is e^(2/pi), but I'd like to know how to get it.

Can anybody help me, please?
Ok, you can solve the problem like this:
Let: [tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (2 - x) ^ {\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right)}[/tex]
Now, by taking log of both sides, and using the fact that the function ln(x) is continuous for all x > 0, we have:
[tex]\ln y = \ln \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (2 - x) ^ {\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right)} \right) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \left[ \ln \left( (2 - x) ^ {\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right)} \right) \right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \left[ \tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right) \ln (2 - x) \right][/tex]
The limit in the right is in the Indeterminate form [tex]0 \times \infty[/tex]
Now, for it to have the form [tex]\frac{0}{0} \quad \mbox{or} \quad \frac{\infty}{\infty}[/tex], we can divide both numerator, and denominator by ln(2 - x), or tan(pi x / 2), like this:
[tex]\ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \left[ \tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right) \ln (2 - x) \right] = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{2} x \right)}{\frac{1}{\ln (2 - x)}}[/tex]
Can you go from here?
After evaluating the limit in the right, can you find y, i.e the limit of the original problem? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Make the sub

[tex] x=y+1 [/tex]

2. Then

[tex] \lim_{y\rightarrow 0^{+}} (1-y)^{\frac{1}{y}\cdot \[y\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2}(1+y)\right)} [/tex]

U can write it as e^(-lim...) and you may use (if you wish) l'H^opital's rule to evaluate the limit y/cos(pi/2(1+y)) as y tends to zero plus.

Daniel.

FAQ: How do I solve this difficult L'Hopital problem using fractions and derivatives?

1. What is a Difficult L'Hopital Problem?

A Difficult L'Hopital Problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves using L'Hopital's rule, which is a mathematical theorem that allows for the evaluation of certain limits involving indeterminate forms. These types of problems can be challenging and require a thorough understanding of calculus.

2. How do I know when to use L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule can be used when evaluating a limit that results in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is important to note that L'Hopital's rule can only be used for limits involving real variables, and not for limits involving complex numbers.

3. Can L'Hopital's rule be used for all types of limits?

No, L'Hopital's rule can only be used for certain types of limits, specifically those that result in indeterminate forms. It cannot be used for limits that result in determinate forms, such as a finite number or infinity.

4. What are some common mistakes when using L'Hopital's rule?

One of the most common mistakes when using L'Hopital's rule is forgetting to check if the limit is in an indeterminate form before applying the rule. Another mistake is not simplifying the expression before applying the rule, which can lead to incorrect results.

5. Are there any alternatives to using L'Hopital's rule for difficult limits?

Yes, there are other techniques that can be used to evaluate difficult limits, such as Taylor series, power series, and the squeeze theorem. It is important to have a variety of problem-solving strategies in order to approach and solve difficult L'Hopital problems effectively.

Back