How Do I Solve This Vector Displacement Problem?

• Thread starter Bensky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation was about a vector problem where a woman walks in a certain direction and the task was to find her resultant vector displacement from the starting point. The person asking for help had solved other parts of the question correctly but was struggling with the final answer. After some discussion, it was discovered that the person had used the wrong angle in their calculation and once that was corrected, the answer was found to be 420.5. The difference between "east of north" and "north of east" was also clarified.
Bensky
Need help on a vector problem by tomorrow. :(

Homework Statement

A woman walks 277. m in the direction 41.6° east of north, then 171 m directly east. Find
(a) her resultant vector displacement from the starting point

There were other parts to the question which I got right, I can't seem to get this one.

Homework Equations

None except the pythagorean theorem:
In this case, D=[tex]\sqrt{Dx^2 + Dy^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

D1X=cos(41.6°) * 277
D1X=207.1400711

D2X=171

D1Y=sin(41.6°) * 277
D1Y=183.9075609

D2Y=0

Dx=378.14
Dy=183.9075604

D=sqrt(378.14^2+183.9075609^2)
D=420.49 =~ 420.5

Ok, so I got 420.5 and plugged in it. Nope, the computer says it's wrong. I tried rounding it to 421 and that was wrong also. I don't think I made any math errors, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the wrong angle..problem says east of north but you used north of east...otherwise, your work looks good once you correct for the proper angle.

PhanthomJay said:
You used the wrong angle..problem says east of north but you used north of east...otherwise, your work looks good once you correct for the proper angle.

Now I'm confused, what is the difference between east of north and north of east? >_> Which angle would I use?

EDIT: The only other angle I can think of is 48.4 degrees, found by: 90+41.6+x=180

Last edited:
x degrees "east of north" means x degrees from north in a clockwise manner. x degrees "north of east" means x degrees from east in an anticlockwise manner. Unless x=45, the angles will not be the same.

And don't forget to get the resultant angle.

Thanks for explaining that, I changed the angle and it worked. :)

Related to How Do I Solve This Vector Displacement Problem?

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem involves using mathematical principles to analyze and solve problems related to vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. Can you give an example of a vector problem?

One example of a vector problem could be finding the resultant force of two or more forces acting on an object at different angles.

3. How do I approach solving a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you should first break down the given information into its components, determine the direction and magnitude of each component, and then use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to find the final answer.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems include forgetting to use the correct units, mixing up the direction and magnitude of vectors, and not considering the negative signs when adding or subtracting vectors.

5. Can you help me solve a vector problem by tomorrow?

I am a computer program and cannot provide personalized help, but I can offer general guidance and resources to help you solve vector problems. It is important to start working on the problem early and seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed.

Back