How do I solve triple integrals using other coordinates?

In summary: Thanks so much for the help!In summary, it seems that the problem is that you need to convert from Cartesian (r,theta,z) to cylindrical (r,theta,z,r). The limits for z are z=0 for the cylinder coordinate system, or z=a for the Cartesian system.
violette
Hi everyone, I have problems solving triple integral question like this:

Find the volume of the solid bounded below by the cone [itex]\varphi[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] and above by the plane z=a.

I can do simple triple integration questions,but can some please give me some guidance on how to solve triple integrals which requires us to convert to other coordinates(spherical,cartesian)?I have problems finding the new limits after I convert.

Appreciate any help and guidance.Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinion :
It seems for me that the other bounds is z = 0, maybe I do not understand but mentioned bounds is not quite enough for finite volume of the body.

Welcome to PF, violette! :smile:

The coordinates you're looking for are cylinder coordinates (r, theta, z).
What do you think the limits are for z?
What would r on the cone be for a specific z?

I think maybe something like this, but do not sure

For any z the cone has a distinct radius of the cross-section, then R ( z ) = z * tg ( pi/6 )
A) cartesian system:

Integral_z ( from 0 to a )
{ Integral_x ( from 0 to z*tg( pi/6 ) )
{ Integral_y ( from 0 to sqrt[ (z*tg( pi/6 ) )^2 - x^2 ] )
4*dydxdz
}
}

B) cylindrical system:

Integral_z ( from 0 to a )
{ Integral_angle ( from 0 to 2*pi )
{ Integral_R ( from 0 to z*tg( pi/6 ) )
R*(dz)*(d angle)*(d R)
}
}

C) The volume of a cone ( 1/3 )*H*pi*R^2 = ( 1/3 )*a*pi*(a*tg( pi/6 ))^2 = 22.34

Hi thanks for the replies =)
but may I know why do we need to change it to cylindrical coords?I thought spherical would be better?

for my spherical coords, i got:

0 ≤ z ≤ a
0 ≤ θ ≤ 2∏
0 ≤ ρ ≤ (2a)/√3

can i also ask,is θ always between 0 and 2∏?How do we determine whether it is or not?
thanks!

violette said:
Hi thanks for the replies =)
but may I know why do we need to change it to cylindrical coords?I thought spherical would be better?

for my spherical coords, i got:

0 ≤ z ≤ a
0 ≤ θ ≤ 2∏
0 ≤ ρ ≤ (2a)/√3

can i also ask,is θ always between 0 and 2∏?How do we determine whether it is or not?
thanks!

Your z and θ are right! :smile:

But I'm afraid your ρ is not quite right.
As you have it now, it is a constant, meaning you're describing a cylinder.
But it is supposed to be a cone.
ρ should be dependent on z.

And what you have there is cylindrical! ;)
Cylindrical is polar with an added z coordinate.
Just like polar, the range of θ is 0 to 2∏.

In spherical you have 2 angle θ and φ.
That works like longitude and latitude on earth.
One goes all the way around (longitude), and the other has range of 0 to ∏ (compare to latitude).

Ah I see,so for cone, ρ will be in terms of z all the time?

violette said:
Ah I see,so for cone, ρ will be in terms of z all the time?

Yes!

Btw, I see that you have multiplied by 2/√3.
How is your phi defined?
However it is, this is not the right multiplier.

Why is that so?
cosine [itex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex],hence my [itex]\rho[/itex] is 2/[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]z?

violette said:
Why is that so?
cosine [itex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex],hence my [itex]\rho[/itex] is 2/[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]z?

The cosine gives the ratio with the hypotenuse, but that one doesn't play.
z and ρ are aligned with the adjacent and the opposite sides.

oh no,sorry i think i did it wrongly.
Im trying to convert to spherical coordinates.
0 ≤ θ ≤ 2[itex]\pi[/itex]
0 ≤ ρ ≤ [itex]\frac{2a}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]
0 ≤ [itex]\phi[/itex] ≤ [itex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex]

Does it look right now?

violette said:
oh no,sorry i think i did it wrongly.
Im trying to convert to spherical coordinates.
0 ≤ θ ≤ 2[itex]\pi[/itex]
0 ≤ ρ ≤ [itex]\frac{2a}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]
0 ≤ [itex]\phi[/itex] ≤ [itex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex]

Does it look right now?

Oh, okay, then the multiplier is good and the ranges too!

But... :rolleyes: spherically the bottom (top?) of the cone would be part of the sphere (round).
But your problem says it's a plane at z=a... :confused:

oh man!u mean to use spherical coordinates,the surface has to be round?!
i never knew that =S

violette said:
oh man!u mean to use spherical coordinates,the surface has to be round?!
i never knew that =S

Well, at ρ=constant, you're tracing a sphere.Actually, you can trace a plane with a ρ that depends on φ:
[tex]\rho = {a \over \cos \phi}[/tex]
But to integrate that tends to get ugly!

Ah I see..thanks so much =D

I have a similar problem, where you have to find the area cut between the cylinder x^2+y^2≤1 and 0≤ρ≤a, I am so lost its not even funny. I think we are supposed to use spherical to get ρ as variable to a, and 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π, and 0 ≤ ϕ ≤ (the intersection of sphere and cylinder), and that's all I've got right now, this setup seems to stem from actual constants, but it does not make logical sense how to make ρ change from the edge of the cylinder to a. Should I repost this on another thread? Or can you guys maybe help me?

$\lim$

GENHEN said:
I have a similar problem, where you have to find the area cut between the cylinder x^2+y^2≤1 and 0≤ρ≤a, I am so lost its not even funny. I think we are supposed to use spherical to get ρ as variable to a, and 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π, and 0 ≤ ϕ ≤ (the intersection of sphere and cylinder), and that's all I've got right now, this setup seems to stem from actual constants, but it does not make logical sense how to make ρ change from the edge of the cylinder to a. Should I repost this on another thread? Or can you guys maybe help me?

Welcome to PF, GENHEN! :smile:

It seems okay to use spherical.
In your case you should still use the full range 0 ≤ ϕ ≤ π.
But your ρ should depend on ϕ.
[tex]\rho = \left[\begin{matrix}
a, & \text{ if } \sin \phi < {1\over a}, \\
{1 \over \sin \phi}, & \text{ otherwise}.
\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Related to How do I solve triple integrals using other coordinates?

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a type of mathematical integral that involves integrating over a three-dimensional region in space. It is typically used in physics and engineering to calculate volumes, masses, and other quantities that are dependent on three variables.

2. How is a triple integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves integrating over a one-dimensional interval, while a triple integral involves integrating over a three-dimensional region. This means that a triple integral has three different variables to integrate with respect to, whereas a regular integral only has one.

3. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as mass, volume, center of mass, and moment of inertia. They are also used in economics to calculate the expected value of a three-dimensional random variable.

4. What is the process for solving a triple integral?

The process for solving a triple integral involves first defining the limits of integration for each variable, then setting up the correct integral expression, and finally evaluating the integral using various integration techniques. It is important to carefully consider the geometry of the three-dimensional region in order to correctly set up the integral.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving triple integrals?

There are some techniques for simplifying the process of solving triple integrals, such as using symmetry to reduce the number of integrals that need to be evaluated, or using substitution to transform the integral into an easier form. However, there is no single trick that can be used for all triple integrals, and the best approach is to carefully set up and evaluate the integral according to the specific problem at hand.