How do I take the first and second derivatives of the Helmholtz Coils equation?

In summary: But you can do it!In summary, the Helmholtz equation can be solved using first and second derivatives. First order and second order partial derivatives can be used to find the equation's solutions.
stryker123

Homework Statement

How do I take the first and second derivatives of the helmholtz equation? The equation is as follows:

Bx= ((uR^2NI)/2) * ( [1/((x+a)^2+R^2)^(3/2) ] + [1/((x+a)^2+R^2)^(3/2) ] )

heres what I have to prove
First Derivative
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/stryker213/?action=view&current=First.jpg

Second Derivative
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/stryker213/?action=view&current=Second.jpg

Homework Equations

Bx= ((uR^2NI)/2) * ( [1/((x+a)^2+R^2)^(3/2) ] + [1/((x+a)^2+R^2)^(3/2) ] )

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/stryker213/?action=view&current=First.jpg

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/stryker213/?action=view&current=Second.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I just started multivariable calculus so I'm not quite sure what to do. I tried to take the derivative with respect to x and treated the rest of the variables as constants. However, I believe that you would need to do the chain rule to figure this problem out. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a one variable calculus problem. If you have taken those courses in one variable calculus, these two relations should be very familiar:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10053&stc=1&d=1179119518

I use always the first one, so this problem could be written as:

constant * [((x+a)^2+R^2)^(-3/2) + ((x-a)^2+R^2)^(-3/2)]

(you forgot one minus-sing in the denominator..)

And now you just do the thing as usual:

((x+a)^2+R^2)^(-3/2) becomes : (-3/2)(2(x+a))((x+a)^2+R^2)^(-5/2) and then the same thing for the other term. Remember to do the inner derivate (Chain-rule).

And yes, the second is just treat all other things as constants..

good luck =)

Attachments

• differentiation.JPG
    differentiation.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 972
Hello,

Just take first order and second order partial derivative of the equation.
I obtained the results by some calculation.
The first order derivative vanishes at x=0, which is consistent with the fact that some simple experiments reach approximate uniform magnetic field at the center of the two coils.
The second derivative does not vanish at x=0.

Regards

if I'm trying to get the equation to look like http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/stryker213/?action=view&current=First.jpg then how can I treat the uR^2... as a constant? If i treat it as a constant, wouldn't that turn into zero?

Last edited by a moderator:
why?

differentiate this one for example: whith respect to x, all other is constants.

(d/dx){[(x+a)^2+ T]^(3/2)} = (3/2)*2(x+a)*[(x+a)^2+ T]^(1/2)

You should probably practice a little bit more on how to differentiate a bit more complex functions with one variable, the product rule, the chain rule etc.

Last edited:
did you get it now? =)

yes, I understand most of it now. Although, I am having trouble with finding the second derivative. I'm not sure if I should use the product rule or quotient rule, but I'm sure I can figure it out

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread.

you do the same thing, but now you have things like:

(d/dx){(x+a)*[(x+a)^2+ T]^(-5/2)}

And here we use the product rule OR the quotient rule, as I said earlier that I always uses the first one, it is the easiest to remember, so i always uses that one and think of the equatation(function) as a product, as x/t^3 = x*t^-3

i have the same problem, and I just wanted to tell you guys this help was amazing. Thanks!

=)
i hope stryker123 made it now.

it is of high imoportance to master calculus and linear algebra in the world of phyics.

This was actually a very easy problem, but just looks very intimidating, and takes some time.

Related to How do I take the first and second derivatives of the Helmholtz Coils equation?

What is the Helmholtz Coils equation?

The Helmholtz Coils equation is a mathematical formula that describes the magnetic field created by a pair of circular coils with equal radius and distance between them. It is used to calculate the strength and direction of the magnetic field at any point within the coils.

What are Helmholtz Coils used for?

Helmholtz Coils are commonly used in scientific experiments and research to create a uniform magnetic field. They are also used in a variety of applications, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, particle accelerators, and magnetometers.

What are the limitations of the Helmholtz Coils equation?

The Helmholtz Coils equation assumes that the coils are infinitely long and have a constant current flowing through them. This may not be the case in real-world situations, leading to some inaccuracies in the calculated magnetic field. Additionally, the coils must be positioned precisely in order to create a truly uniform magnetic field.

How do Helmholtz Coils work?

Helmholtz Coils work by creating a magnetic field through the flow of current through the coils. The coils are positioned in such a way that the magnetic fields they produce overlap and cancel each other out, resulting in a uniform magnetic field in the space between them. This uniformity is important for many scientific experiments and applications.

Can the Helmholtz Coils equation be used for non-uniform magnetic fields?

No, the Helmholtz Coils equation is specifically designed for calculating the magnetic field of a pair of coils that produce a uniform field. It cannot be used to accurately calculate the magnetic field in non-uniform situations. In those cases, more complex equations and calculations are needed.