How do I use Green's theorem with holes?

In summary, the conversation was about using Green's theorem with holes in the region of integration. The book suggests that sometimes the hole can be ignored, but it is generally not possible to do so. However, in this specific case, there is a workaround where the hole can be circumvented by connecting the outer and inner curves with line segments. This allows for the hole to be ignored in the line integral.
Vorde
Hey all,

I was working through some problems in my spare time when I realized that I wasn't so satisfied with my understanding of how to use Greens theorem with holes. Can someone refresh my memory?

More specifically:

Lets say I want to take the line integral in some vector field of a curve C which is the union of the circle of radius 1 and the circle of radius 2 (meaning that the region of integration would be between r=1 and r=2).

How do I go about doing this again? The book says that sometimes I can just take the line integral around the outer curve and ignore the inner curve but doesn't say when/why this can be done.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
let
C1 be a circle of radius r1
C2 be a circle of radius r3
R the region bounded by C1 and C2

[tex]\int\int_R \left(\dfrac{\partial v}{\partial x}-\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right) \text{ dx dy}=\oint_{C_2} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy})-\oint_{C_1} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy})[/tex]

In particular we can find area by choosing for example
u=-y/2
v=x/2

[tex]A=\int\int_R \text{ dx dy}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\oint_{C_2} (-y \text{ dx}+x \text{ dy})-\oint_{C_1} (-y \text{ dx}+x \text{ dy})\right)=\pi(r_2^2-r_1^2)[/tex]

Ah! Okay, if only my damn book wrote that!

That makes things lovely.

Is there anything to the fact that sometimes you can ignore the hole though?

Generally you cannot simply ignore the hole.
One of the conditions in applying Green's theorem, is that the partial derivatives exist and are continuous in the entire region.

In this particular case there is a work around for the hole though.
You can connect the 2 circles with 2 line segments that (almost) coincide.
That way the relevant region is really the region between the 2 circles, so there can be a hole in the middle.
Since the partial derivatives have to be continuous, it does not matter that an infinitesimal area is missing (the part "between" the 2 line segments).

Suppose G is the curve containing the 2 circles and the 2 line segments, but not the center.

Then properly we have:
[tex]\int\int_R \left(\dfrac{\partial v}{\partial x}-\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right) \text{ dx dy}
=\int\int_{R \text{ without the area between the line segments}} \left(\dfrac{\partial v}{\partial x}-\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right) \text{ dx dy}[/tex]
[tex]=\oint_{G} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy})
=\int_{C_1 \text{ reversed}} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy}) + \int_{L_1} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy})
+ \int_{C_2} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy}) + \int_{L_2} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy})
[/tex]

Since the line segments L1 and L2 (almost) coincide and are opposite in direction, their respective integrals cancel.
And since the area where the circles are integrated is continuous, the open circle integrals are the same as the closed circle integrals.
So we get:
[tex]=\oint_{C_2} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy})-\oint_{C_1} (u \text{ dx}+v \text{ dy})[/tex]

So yes, in this case you can ignore the hole.
Actually, the trick is to circumvent the hole, so there is no hole.

FAQ: How do I use Green's theorem with holes?

1. What is Green's Theorem with Holes?

Green's Theorem with Holes is an extension of Green's Theorem, which is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus. It calculates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve by converting it into a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. How is Green's Theorem with Holes different from Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem with Holes takes into account the presence of holes or singularities within the enclosed region. This means that the double integral includes not only the region enclosed by the curve, but also the areas within the holes.

3. What types of regions can Green's Theorem with Holes be applied to?

Green's Theorem with Holes can be applied to any simply connected region, which means it can be continuously deformed into a single point without leaving the region. Examples of simply connected regions include circles, rectangles, and triangles.

4. How is Green's Theorem with Holes used in real-world applications?

Green's Theorem with Holes has many practical applications, such as calculating the work done by a force along a closed path, finding the flux of a vector field across a closed curve, and determining the circulation of a fluid in a region with holes.

5. What are the limitations of Green's Theorem with Holes?

Green's Theorem with Holes can only be applied to simply connected regions, and it cannot be used to calculate line integrals over curves that intersect or overlap. It also assumes that the functions involved are continuous and have continuous partial derivatives within the region of interest.