How do intense magnetic fields cause photons to split or merge?

In summary, the article discusses four ways in which "Magnetar fields wreak havoc with radiation and matter." One way is spontaneous photon splitting, which is described as "In a related effect, x-rays freely split in two or merge together. This process is important in fields stronger than 10^14 gauss." Another way is vacuum birefringence, which is "like a calcite crystal." Another way is scattering suppression, which is "when x-rays pass through a material, they are scattered in many directions instead of being absorbed." The last way is distortion of atoms, which is "when x-rays pass through a material, they are bent and scattered in various directions."
RJ Emery
Accompanying the article "Magnetars," by Kouveliotou, et al, Scientific American, February, 2003, is a graphic labeled "Extreme Magnetism" which shows four ways in which "Magnetar fields wreak havoc with radiation and matter."

One of these ways is spontaneous (my word) Photon Splitting, described as "In a related effect, x-rays freely split in two or merge together. This process is important in fields stronger than 10^14 gauss."

I have trouble visualizing or understanding this process by which a photon can split or merge with another photon which doesn't involve some other particle (e.g., an electron). If someone could elaborate in layman terms, it would be appreciated.

FWIW, the three other ways listed are Vacuum Birefringence, Scattering Suppression, and Distortion of Atoms.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Cool - I had never heard of that before.
I think the paper says that the photon splits into a electron-positron pair and because these are in a strng magnetic field they emit photons before recombining.

mgb_phys said:
Cool - I had never heard of that before.
I think the paper says that the photon splits into a electron-positron pair and because these are in a strng magnetic field they emit photons before recombining.
What paper is that? Certainly not the article I cited. All it says is:
A separate estimate of the field had been given in 1992 by Bohdan Paczynski of Princeton. He noted that x-rays can slip through a cloud of electrons more easily if the charged particles are immersed in a very intense magnetic field. For the x-rays during the burst to have been so bright, the magnetic field must have been stronger than 10^14 gauss.

What makes the theory so tricky is that the fields are stronger than the quantum electrodynamic threshold of 4 × 10^13 gauss. In such strong fields, bizarre things happen. X-ray photons readily split in two or merge together. The vacuum itself is polarized, becoming strongly birefringent, like a calcite crystal. Atoms are deformed into long cylinders thinner than the quantum-relativistic wavelength of an electron.
It provides the observation of what could happen, but does not explain how, at least to my rudimentary level of understanding.

Last edited:

Related to How do intense magnetic fields cause photons to split or merge?

What is photon splitting?

Photon splitting is a theoretical process in which a high-energy photon splits into two or more lower-energy photons.

What is photon merging?

Photon merging is a theoretical process in which two or more lower-energy photons combine to form a single higher-energy photon.

What is the significance of photon splitting and merging?

Photon splitting and merging could have significant implications in the fields of high-energy physics and astrophysics. These processes could help explain the behavior of high-energy photons in extreme environments, such as near black holes.

Has photon splitting or merging been observed?

No, photon splitting or merging has not been observed experimentally. These processes are still theoretical and require extremely high energy conditions to occur, making them difficult to observe.

What are the potential applications of photon splitting and merging?

If photon splitting or merging were to be observed and harnessed, it could have potential applications in fields such as energy production, data transmission, and medical imaging.