How Do Iodine and Chloride Ions Interact in a Vacuum?

In summary, when an iodine (-1) and a chloride ion (-1) interact in a vacuum, they exert equal forces on each other from a distance of 2.0 x 10^-9 m. The electric field experienced by the iodine ion is towards the chloride ion, as the electric field vector points towards the ion with the opposite charge. To experience 1/64 of the electric field of the iodine ion, the chloride ion would need to be moved by a factor of 8. When calculating the forces and electric fields, the charges of both ions should be taken into account, which are both negative and equal in magnitude. Mass is not relevant in this problem.
avb203796
An iodine (-1) and a chloride ion (-1) interact in a vaccum.

a. What is the force which each exerts on the other from a distance of 2.0 x 10^-9 m?

b. What is the eletric field that the iodine ion experiences from the chloride ion? toward which ion does the electrical field vector point?

c. By what factor must the chloride ion be moved so that it experiences 1/64 of the electric field iodine ion as in part b?

This is work from the spring that I am finishing up and I can not rember how to go about solving this problem. Could someone please help me? I just need a poitn in the right direction.

I am pretty sure that the forces they exert on each other would be equal but beyond that I am not sure how to go about the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force between two charges is given by:

[tex] F=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Q_1Q_2}{r^2}[/tex]

and the electric field for a point charge is given by:

[tex]E=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r}[/tex]

just a case of plugging in the numbers.

so does that mean my force would be = 5.77 X 10^-11

Something around that magnitude. Remember your units when handing your answer in.

should my Q1 and my Q2 have the same number because they both have a negative charge?

I'm not sure what you mean but I assume that you're talking of parts a and b and they will have opposite signs because both ions are negatively charged.

avb203796 said:
should my Q1 and my Q2 have the same number because they both have a negative charge?

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what the Q1 and Q2 are in the force formula?

Oh I see. Yes Q1 and Q2 will be the same value because both ions have a negative charge of one.

so then the mass of the ions is irrelevent? because my teacher did say as a hint to remember that ion charges are multiples of the charge on an electron, and their masses in atomic weights are multiples of the mass of a proton

No mass is needed in this problem as far as I can see.

FAQ: How Do Iodine and Chloride Ions Interact in a Vacuum?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds an electrically charged object. It is created by the presence of electric charges and describes the direction and magnitude of the force that would be exerted on another charged particle placed within that field.

How is an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This value is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge itself.

What are some common applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have a wide range of practical applications, such as in electrical circuits, motors, and generators. They are also used in technologies like smartphones, televisions, and computers. In healthcare, electric fields are used in diagnostic imaging techniques like MRI and in therapeutic treatments like electroconvulsive therapy.

How are electric fields related to electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the energy per unit charge at a specific point within an electric field. It is directly related to the strength of the electric field, with a higher potential indicating a stronger field. It is often used in calculations to determine the behavior of charged particles within an electric field.

Can electric fields be shielded or cancelled out?

Yes, electric fields can be shielded or cancelled out through various methods. One way is by using conductive materials to create a Faraday cage that blocks external electric fields. Another method is by using an electric field canceling device that emits an opposite electric field to neutralize the original field. This is commonly used in sensitive electronic devices to prevent interference from external electric fields.