How Do Mall Lockdowns During Shootings Impact Safety?

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
In summary, a mall was shut down to search for a gunman who had opened fire. Some people expressed concern about being trapped in the mall with the shooter, while others questioned the effectiveness of locking down the building. There were also concerns about unsupervised children in the mall.
OAQfirst
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081123/ap_on_re_us/mall_shooting

Reads that the mall was shut down so the police could look for the gunman. Personally, I'd be a bit pissed if I was locked in a mall with a killer on the loose. I know it's important to find the shooter, but there are other ways they can do that besides locking a thousand people in the building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently they thought he wouldn't be a danger to the public. But I wonder how quickly you can make such an assessment and how quickly you can close a mall after such an incident, wouldn't the shooter have plenty of time to get out?

I thought the same. I wouldn't expect a shooter to stick around. Though, some characters certainly might. I suppose he may have had some shopping left.

My biggest concern is for unsupervised kids that parents frequently drop off. I doubt most would know exactly what to do. It's hard enough for adults to know.

Maybe they saw a bunch of dead bodies and figured he ran out of bullets.

FAQ: How Do Mall Lockdowns During Shootings Impact Safety?

1. What are the common causes of a mall shooting?

The common causes of a mall shooting can vary, but some of the most frequently cited factors include mental health issues, access to firearms, social isolation, and a history of violence or aggression.

2. How common are mall shootings?

Mall shootings are relatively rare events, but they do occur. According to a study by the National Institute of Justice, there were an average of 13.3 active shooter incidents per year in the US from 2000 to 2013, and only 2.1% of these incidents took place in shopping malls.

3. What can be done to prevent mall shootings?

Preventing mall shootings is a complex issue that requires a multi-faceted approach. Some potential strategies include improving access to mental health services, implementing stricter gun control measures, and increasing security measures in malls.

4. Are there any warning signs that someone may commit a mall shooting?

While there is no specific profile of a mall shooter, there are some warning signs that may indicate a person is at risk for committing a violent act. These can include a history of violence, substance abuse, and a fascination with weapons or violent ideologies.

5. What should I do if I find myself in a mall during a shooting?

If you find yourself in a mall during a shooting, the most important thing to do is to stay calm and follow the instructions of law enforcement. If possible, try to find a safe place to hide and avoid drawing attention to yourself. If you are unable to escape, try to find an object to use as a barrier or shield and call 911 for help.