How do Maxwells equations result from the field tensor?

In summary, vanadium 50 and jfy4 suggested that I work with E's and B's rather than with d's, and dextercioby provided a helpful explanation of what LaTeX can do to make the equations easier to read.
Azelketh
Hi,
I've been trying to solve problem 2.1 a in Peskin and schroeder, an introduction to QFT.
The problem is to derive Maxwells equations for free space, which I have almost managed to do,
using the Euler- lagrange euqation And the definition of the field tensor as
[tex]
F_{μv} = d_μ A_v - d_v A_μ
[/tex]
So I have managed to get to;
[tex]
0=d_μ F^{μv}
[/tex]
But I am unable to see how this shows Maxwells equations.
Any points would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In what variables are Maxwell's equations usually expressed?

My apologies for a less than comprehensive post at first;

Well, usually in the vector form of E and B or the 4 vector A,
where;
[tex]
A= ( \phi, \vec{A} )
[/tex]

where[tex] \vec{A} [/tex]is the magnetic vector
[tex]\phi[/tex] is the scalar electric potential.

[tex]
E = -∇\phi - \frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}
[/tex]
And,
[tex]
B= ∇ X \vec{A}
[/tex]
It's clear to me that 2 of maxwells equations result directly from this definition;
[tex]
∇.B = ∇. ( ∇ X \vec{A} ) = 0
[/tex]
and
[tex]
∇ X E = ∇ X ∇\phi - ∇ X \frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}
[/tex][tex]
∇ X E = ∇(∇ X \phi) - \frac{\partial (∇ X\vec{A} )}{\partial t}
[/tex][tex]
∇ X E = 0 - \frac{\partial ( B )}{\partial t}
[/tex][tex]
∇ X E = - \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}

[/tex]

Which leaves
[tex]
∇.E = 0
[/tex]
and
[tex]
∇ X B = \frac{\partial E}{\partial t}
[/tex]
to be found from
[tex]
0=\partial_μ F^{μv}[/tex]

So I have tried putting in
[tex]
F_{μv} = \partial_μ A_v - \partial_v A_μ
[/tex]
To give;
[tex]
0=\partial_μ ( \partial_μ A_v - \partial_v A_μ )[/tex]

[tex]
0=\partial_μ \partial_μ A_v - \partial_μ \partial_v A_μ [/tex]
so I then tried expanding this out, hoping that some terms would cancel and that I would recognize others and perhaps then they would be close to the E and B field formulation that I am more familier with.
This yielded;
[tex]
\partial_μ \partial_μ A_v= \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \vec(A)}{\partial t^2} + ∇^2 \phi + ∇^2 \vec{A}
[/tex]
And
[tex]
\partial_μ \partial_v A_μ = \partial_v \partial_μ A_μ = \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial \vec(∇A)}{\partial t} - \frac{\partial ∇\phi}{\partial t} + ∇^2 \vec{A}
[/tex]
which when combined gives;
[tex]
0= \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \vec(A)}{\partial t^2} + ∇^2 \phi + ∇^2 \vec{A} - ( \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial \vec(∇A)}{\partial t} - \frac{\partial ∇\phi}{\partial t} + ∇^2 \vec{A} )
[/tex]
[tex]
0= \frac{\partial^2 \vec(A)}{\partial t^2} + ∇^2 \phi + \frac{\partial \vec(∇A)}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial ∇\phi}{\partial t}
[/tex]
which is where I am scratching my head...

EDIT:replaced d's with [tex]\partial[/tex] as per dextercioby's suggestion.

Last edited:
I suggest one tiny bit of LaTex: [itex] \partial [/itex], i.e. \partial.

Wouldn't it make more sense to work with E's and B's if you want equations giving you E's and B's?

at the end of post #3, like in the last 4 lines, you have vector things added to scalar things, which is no good. And on the left hand side of those lines there is a free index [itex]\nu[/itex] I think... Those are vectors. You can write it in a vector format, but the index is not summed over.

I see how I've gone wrong on the last few lines.

Thanks for your help vanadium 50 , jfy4 and dextercioby!

Related to How do Maxwells equations result from the field tensor?

1. How do Maxwell's equations result from the field tensor?

The field tensor is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic field and its relationship with electric and magnetic charges. Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, can be derived from the field tensor through mathematical operations and principles.

2. What is the role of the field tensor in Maxwell's equations?

The field tensor serves as a mathematical tool for describing the electromagnetic field and its interactions with electric and magnetic charges. It allows us to understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their sources.

3. Can Maxwell's equations be derived without using the field tensor?

Yes, Maxwell's equations can also be derived using other mathematical methods, such as the divergence and curl operations on the electric and magnetic fields. However, the field tensor provides a more elegant and comprehensive approach to understanding the equations.

4. How does the field tensor explain the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

The field tensor combines the electric and magnetic fields into a single mathematical entity, which allows us to see how changes in one field can affect the other. This helps explain the fundamental link between electricity and magnetism in electromagnetism.

5. What are the advantages of using the field tensor in Maxwell's equations?

The field tensor provides a concise and unified mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of the electromagnetic field. It also allows for the prediction and understanding of phenomena such as electromagnetic waves, electromagnetic radiation, and the behavior of electric and magnetic charges.