How Do Newton's Laws Apply to a Tug-of-War on Ice?

In summary: What is the magnitude of the force that John exerts on Peter?"and for the part c, you are asked about the magnitude of acceleration of Peter, which according to the question is 2.0 m/s^2 towards John. Therefore, you can use the same equation F=ma to find the force that Peter exerts on John. In summary, Peter and John are playing tug-of-war on a frictionless icy surface. Peter weighs 539N and John weighs 392N. During the course of the game, John accelerates toward Peter at a rate of 2.0m/s^2. By using Newton's third law and the equation F=ma, it can be determined
Alyce777

Homework Statement

Peter and John are playing a game of tuf-of-war on a frictionless icy surface. Peter weighs 539N and John weighs 392N. DUring the course of the game, John accelerates toward Peter at a rate of 2.0m/s^2.
a) What is the magnitude of the force that Peter exerts on John?
b)What is the magnitude of the force that John exerts on Peter?
c) What is the magnitude of Peters acceleration toward John?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

so I'm really stuck with this one. Firstly, I'm not sure how to convert from weight to mass, I looked up a converter that said to multiply by 0.102 to get the weight in kg. ( did this, peter=55kg, john = 40kg). I'm not sure if that's right though. I also can't tell the difference between the questions, especially b and c. What are the variables in the first two questions? I think I should be solving for Newtons, but again, I'm just stuck. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Alyce777 said:

Homework Statement

Peter and John are playing a game of tuf-of-war on a frictionless icy surface. Peter weighs 539N and John weighs 392N. DUring the course of the game, John accelerates toward Peter at a rate of 2.0m/s^2.
a) What is the magnitude of the force that Peter exerts on John?
b)What is the magnitude of the force that John exerts on Peter?
c) What is the magnitude of Peters acceleration toward John?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

so I'm really stuck with this one. Firstly, I'm not sure how to convert from weight to mass, I looked up a converter that said to multiply by 0.102 to get the weight in kg. ( did this, peter=55kg, john = 40kg). I'm not sure if that's right though. I also can't tell the difference between the questions, especially b and c. What are the variables in the first two questions? I think I should be solving for Newtons, but again, I'm just stuck. Any help would be appreciated

-Go through the Newton's third law.
-mass(in kg) = W/g

Yea I've got the weights right, with the 55 and 40kg, I figured that part out. What I can't get is what the three questions are asking. Part C i got as being 120N but don't know what to use in a) and b)

Alyce777 said:
Yea I've got the weights right, with the 55 and 40kg, I figured that part out. What I can't get is what the three questions are asking. Part C i got as being 120N but don't know what to use in a) and b)

ok, so acceleration of the john is given,
and thus using F=ma you can find the force that is being applied on him.
and that would be the answer to "a) What is the magnitude of the force that Peter exerts on John?"

and using Newton's third law, you can find answer to the part b

Related to How Do Newton's Laws Apply to a Tug-of-War on Ice?

What are Newton's Laws?

Newton's Laws are three fundamental laws of physics that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to understand the movement of objects in our world.

What is the First Law of Motion?

The First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects will continue to move at a constant velocity unless a force is applied to change their motion.

What is the Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Additionally, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

What is the Third Law of Motion?

The Third Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the forces they exert on each other are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

How are Newton's Laws applied in problem-solving?

Newton's Laws are used to analyze and solve problems involving the motion of objects. They provide a framework for understanding how forces affect an object's motion and can be used to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and position of an object in various situations. By applying these laws, scientists and engineers can design and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as airplanes, cars, and satellites.