How Do Orthogonal Projectors Influence Dimensions and Norms?

• Thread starter math8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orthogonal
In summary, the two projectors P and Q have equal dimensions if and only if Range(P) Inters Null(Q) = Range(Q) Inters Null(P).
math8
Let P and Q be two m x m orthogonal projectors.
We show a) ||P-Q||_2 <or eq. 1
b)||P-Q||_2 < 1 implies the ranges of P and Q have equal dimensions.

I think I must use the properties of orthogonal projectors. I guess Range(P) Inters Null(P) = {0} and Range(Q) Inters Null(Q) = {0}.
Also ||P-Q||_2 = Max {|(P-Q)x|: ||x||=1|}. But I am not sure how to proceed from here.

I am seeing somewhere this lemma: ||P-Q||_2 <1 iff Range(P) Inters Null(Q) = {0} and Range(Q) Inters Null(P) = {0}.

Is it true? If yes why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand question (a).

I also don't know the word 'inters' in this context. Do you mean 'contains'? If by Null(Q), you mean the set of vectors that it maps to zero, then it is most certainly not trivial for any non-trivial projection operator. In fact, one has [tex] V = Null(Q) \oplus Range(Q)[/tex].

For example, in R3 for the standard basis, one has the projection operator

[tex]P = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Null(P) is generated by (0, 0, 1)T and Range(P) is generated by (1, 0, 0)T and (0, 1, 0)T.

Last edited:
Inters means Intersection here.

That's funny. Inters means "to bury" in common usage. That's why I thought it meant contains.

I figured out (b)

[tex]v \in Ker(Q)\cap Im(P), |v| = 1 \ \Rightarrow \ (P - Q)v = v[/tex]

One can move from there to

[tex] ||P - Q||_{2} < 1 \ \Rightarrow Ker(Q)\cap Im(P) = \left\{0\right\}[/tex]

Some standard projector properties and a little dimension counting close the deal.I still don't understand question (a) though...

aPhilosopher said:
I still don't understand question (a) though...

I read it as

(a) Prove that [tex]||P - Q||_2 \leq 1[/tex]

Not sure how to prove it.

Heh, I'm new to ascii math. Should have gotten that...

To handle the first one, factorize V as

[tex]V = \left[ Im(P) \cap Im(Q) \right] \oplus \left[ Im(P) \cap Ker(Q) \right] \oplus
\left[ Ker(P) \cap Im(Q) \right] \oplus \left[ Ker(P) \cap Ker(Q) \right] [/tex]

So we can express a vector v = v1 + v2 + v3 +v4. We also have vivj = 0 if i isn't j by picking a basis.

From here we compare ||(P - Q)v|| to ||v|| to get the more general conclusion that ||(P - Q)v|| <or eq ||v||

I don't seem to be able to find a simpler way

Last edited:

Related to How Do Orthogonal Projectors Influence Dimensions and Norms?

What is an orthogonal projector?

An orthogonal projector is a mathematical concept used in the field of linear algebra. It is a transformation that takes a vector space and projects it onto a subspace in a way that preserves the angles between vectors. This means that the projected vectors are perpendicular to the subspace they are projected onto.

How is an orthogonal projector represented mathematically?

An orthogonal projector is represented by a matrix, which is used to perform the projection. The matrix is typically a square matrix, and its columns represent the basis of the subspace onto which the vector space is projected.

What is the difference between an orthogonal projector and a regular projector?

The main difference between an orthogonal projector and a regular projector is that an orthogonal projector preserves the angles between vectors, while a regular projector does not. This means that an orthogonal projector is more useful in many applications, as it maintains the geometric properties of the original vector space.

How is an orthogonal projector used in data analysis?

In data analysis, orthogonal projectors are often used to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset. This means that a high-dimensional dataset is projected onto a lower-dimensional subspace while preserving as much information as possible. This can help to simplify the data and make it more manageable for further analysis.

Can orthogonal projectors be used in 3D graphics?

Yes, orthogonal projectors are commonly used in 3D graphics to create realistic images. They are used to project a 3D scene onto a 2D screen, preserving the angles between objects in the scene. This helps to create a more accurate representation of the 3D world on a 2D screen.

Back