How Do Physics and Trigonometry Intersect in Simple Motion Problems?

• Thread starter end3r7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: You have to figure out which one by plugging into the original equation (in this case, \cos(\theta + P). If you're converting to a different form of the equation, you have to take care with the sign.
end3r7
Just wanting to double check the reasoning and the work for these. They are fairly simple, so I didn't use latex, but I can re-edit at any time if someone so desires (I'm online more often than I like to admit hehehe).

Thanks.

Homework Statement

1) A mass 'm' is rolled of a table at height 'h' with horizontal speed 'Vx'. Where does the mass land? What trajectory did the mass take?

2) If x = -cos(t) + 3*sin(t), what is the amplitude and phase?

3) Show that an equivalent expression for x = C1 * cos(wt) + C2 * sin(wt) is B*cos(wt + P). How do B and P depend on C1 and C2.

Homework Equations

1) F = ma
2) sin(a +- b) = sin(a)cos(b) +- cos(a)sin(b)
3) cos(a +- b) = cos(a)cos(b) -+ sin(a)sin(b)

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I solved the equations of motion for both vertical and horizontal directions.
With y(0) = h and Vy(0) = 0, I got y(t) = h - mg/2 * t^2

With x(0) = 0 and Vx(0) = Vx, I got x(t) = Vx * t

Solving for y = 0, t_land = sqrt(2/[mg]), so I said the mass will have fallen and displaced Vx * t_land away from table.

Plugging x/Vx for 't', I have that the path is y(t) = h - mg/2 * (x/Vx)^2, which is a parabola with downward concavity.

2) If we rewrite as A * sin(wt + P), then A * sin(P) = C1 and A * cos(P) = C2
Therefore A is simply sqrt(C1^2 + C^2) = sqrt(10).
and P = arctan(C1/C2) = arctan(-1/3).

3) If we rewrite as B * cos(wt + P), then B * cos(P) = C1 and - B * sin(P) = C2
Therefore B is simply sqrt(C1^2 + C^2)
and P = arctan(-C2/C1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Err, I know it's not exactly challenging, but if anybody could take a look and tell me if it's right, that would be cool (especially for #1, the others I'm 100% are correct, not even sure why I posted them).

end3r7 said:
1) I solved the equations of motion for both vertical and horizontal directions.
With y(0) = h and Vy(0) = 0, I got y(t) = h - mg/2 * t^2
That "m" doesn't belong there. Resolve for t and you're good to go.

The other two problems look OK.

Doc Al said:
That "m" doesn't belong there. Resolve for t and you're good to go.

The other two problems look OK.

Wow, thanks a lot.

After the proper fixing, I got that the time for landing is T = sqrt(2h/g)
x will have displaced by Vx * T.

The equation, in terms of x is y(x) = h - g/2 * (x/Vx)^2, with x ranging from 0 to Vx * T. The equation describing the right half of a parabola with downward concavity.

Looks good.

I have a question though, for 3, say I use x = -cos(2t) + 3*sin(2t) and try to write it as y = B*cos(2t+P)

Then I use B is simply sqrt(10)
and P = arctan(3)

This is giving me an error though. x = -y.

Why is that?

I know it's because B is in fact -sqrt(10), but how can we determine that?

Last edited:
Oops. I think you made an error in #3 before:

end3r7 said:
3) If we rewrite as B * cos(wt + P), then B * cos(P) = C1 and - B * sin(P) = C2
Therefore B is simply sqrt(C1^2 + C^2)
and P = arctan(-C2/C1)
Redo your answer for P. (One difference between #2 & #3 is that one uses Sin(wt +P) while the other uses Cos(wt + P) )

Doc Al said:
Oops. I think you made an error in #3 before:

Redo your answer for P. (One difference between #2 & #3 is that one uses Sin(wt +P) while the other uses Cos(wt + P) )

I thought the P was right...

The B was wrong by a factor of -1.

This is because when we solve for B we get +or-sqrt(C1^2 + C2^2).

For the first case, we got the positive square root, but this time around we need the negtavie, I'm wondering why.

A change in sign is equivalent to a change in P. If you choose B as positive (amplitudes are always positive), that determines P.

Which step was wrong for the solving for P then? I'm a little confused.

I understand that I could as easily keep my B positive and shift the argument inside the cosine function by adding pi, but I would rather not, unless there is a clear motivation in the equations.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that (as you pointed out) this method gives a choice of +/- for B. To see which fits a particular case, you must plug in the values. (Interesting!)

Note that:
[tex]\tan(\theta + \pi) = \tan\theta[/tex]

But:
[tex]\cos(\theta + \pi) = -\cos\theta[/tex]

I figured out why. When we foud P, we took the arctan which returns an angle between -pi /2 and pi/2, where cosine is never negative.

Thus if we have c1 = Bcos(P), then a negative c1 would imply that we need to take the negative square root.

Good. Another way of looking at it is what I tried to explain above. Arctan(x) gives an angle which is ambiguous by an additive term of [itex]\pm\pi[/itex] radians.

FAQ: How Do Physics and Trigonometry Intersect in Simple Motion Problems?

1. What is meant by "Checking very simple problems of motion?"

Checking very simple problems of motion refers to the process of analyzing the motion of an object using basic equations and principles of physics, such as distance, speed, and acceleration. This is typically done to solve simple problems, such as finding the time it takes for an object to reach a certain distance or calculating its velocity at a specific moment.

2. How do I check the motion of an object using equations?

To check the motion of an object, you can use the basic equations of motion, which include distance = speed x time, speed = distance/time, and acceleration = change in velocity/time. Simply plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable to determine the motion of the object.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when checking problems of motion?

One common mistake to avoid is using the wrong units. Make sure to use consistent units throughout your calculations, such as meters for distance and meters per second for speed. Another mistake is forgetting to account for the direction of motion, which can affect the sign of the calculated values.

4. Can I use these equations to check the motion of any object?

These equations can be used to check the motion of objects that are moving with a constant speed or acceleration. However, for objects with changing speeds or accelerations, more complex equations and principles, such as calculus, may be needed.

5. Why is it important to check simple problems of motion?

Checking simple problems of motion allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. This knowledge can be applied to various real-world situations, such as designing efficient transportation systems, calculating the trajectory of a projectile, and predicting the motion of celestial bodies in space.

Back