How Do Polar Coordinates Reveal the Shape of Curves in Spivak's Calculus?

In summary, Spivak discusses polar coordinates in an appendix, including an exercise involving the lemniscate, whose polar equation can be written as r^2=2(a^2)*cos(2theta). The exercise involves finding the set of points P that satisfy the product of their distances from two fixed points (-a,0) and (a,0) being equal to a squared. The question then asks for a guess about the shape of the curves formed by the set of points P that satisfy this condition. The author shows that the curves will be symmetrical with the origin as the center of symmetry, and that the first curve will intersect both the x and y axes twice each while the second curve will intersect the x-axis
urdsirdusrnam
This is from Spivak's Calculus.
In an appendix, he defines polar coordinates. One of the exercises in this appendix is showing that the lemniscate, whose polar equation is:
r^2=2(a^2)*cos(2theta)
is the set of points P that satisfy that the product of the distances from said point to two fixed points (-a,0) and (a,0) is "a" squared. This is an excercise from that appendix:
Make a guess about the shape of the curves formed by the set of all points P that satisfying d_1*d_2=b, when b>a^2 and when b<a^2.
I'm helpless at this part. I've shown that the curves will be symmetrical with the origin as center of symnmetry and that the first one intersects both the x and y axes twice each while the second one intersects the x-axis four times whithout intersecting the y-axis at all.
Is there any easy way of picturing these curves that's been eluding me?
I apologise for my Latex iliteracy.
Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Did Spivak say what d_1 and d_2 were?

Yes d1 was the distance from the point (-a,0) to a point in the curve P(x,y) and d2 is the distance from the point (a,0) to the same point.

I could graph the curves only because I typed the equations on Wolfram. Is there any algebraic/geometric argument I could use to graph them without a plotter?

Related to How Do Polar Coordinates Reveal the Shape of Curves in Spivak's Calculus?

1. What is the purpose of "Guessing the shape of curves" in science?

The purpose of "Guessing the shape of curves" in science is to visually analyze and interpret data in order to make predictions and draw conclusions about a particular phenomenon or process.

2. How is "Guessing the shape of curves" different from other methods of data analysis?

"Guessing the shape of curves" differs from other methods of data analysis in that it relies on the visual interpretation of data rather than mathematical calculations or statistical models.

3. What types of data are best suited for "Guessing the shape of curves"?

"Guessing the shape of curves" is best suited for data that follows a continuous pattern or trend, such as time series data or data with a clear relationship between two variables.

4. Can "Guessing the shape of curves" be used to make accurate predictions?

While "Guessing the shape of curves" can provide valuable insights and help identify trends, it should not be solely relied upon for making accurate predictions. Other methods, such as statistical analysis, should also be used for more accurate predictions.

5. What are some limitations of "Guessing the shape of curves" in data analysis?

Some limitations of "Guessing the shape of curves" include subjectivity in interpretation, potential for bias, and difficulty in accurately predicting future patterns or trends. It should also be used in conjunction with other methods for a more comprehensive analysis.