How Do Rank Properties of Idempotent Matrices Affect Their Sum?

• Thread starter mpegwmvavi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
You need to start your own thread. Make sure you completely state the problem, show any relevant equations and what you have tried.
mpegwmvavi

Homework Statement

Suppose A and I are n*n matrices and I is a unit matrix ,and A is an idempotent matrix,ie, A=A^2 .

Show that if rankA=r and rank(A-I)=s,then r+s=n

Homework Equations

no

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if A is an idempotent matrix ,it will have eigenvalues either 0 or 1.

(Proof: Ax=(A^2)x ,and Ax=λx so(A^2)x = A(Ax)=Aλx=λ(Ax)=(λ^2) x

thus, λx=(λ^2) x →(λ-1)λx=0. Suppose x is a nonzero eigenvector, λ = 1 or 0. )

that is, if x1 and x2 are eigenvectors associated with eigenvalue 0 and 1 respectively,

then, A(x1)=0(x1)=0, (a)

and A(x2)=1(x2)=x2

so(A-I)(x2)=0 (b)

Now, I have (a) and (b) , how to show that rankA+rank(A-I)=n?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to show that you can choose a basis of eigenvectors. Then rank(A) is the number of eigenvectors with eigenvalue 1 and rank(A-I) is the number of eigenvectors with eigenvalue 0, right?

From equation (a), since we have rankA=r, the dimension of solution space,or in another words, the dimension of null space = nullityA = n-r by fundamental theorem of linear systems. From the same way, we have rank(A-I)=s, so nullity(A-I)=n-s.

Now, if the equation hold,ie,if :rankA+rank(A-I) = nullityA + nullity(A-I),I could complete my proof,ie,r+s=n
but the problem is that I don't get why the equation above,r+s=(n-s)+(n-r),holds.
Could somebody help me,please. I've stuck in this for a long long long~~~~~~~time. Thx.

how can i express (-9-7x-15x^2) as a linear combination of F1 (2+x+4x^2) , F2 (1-x+3x^2) and F3 (3+2x+5x^2).

209511979 said:
how can i express (-9-7x-15x^2) as a linear combination of F1 (2+x+4x^2) , F2 (1-x+3x^2) and F3 (3+2x+5x^2).
I realize you are new to Physics Forum, but when you tack a totally unrelated problem onto the end of an existing thread, it is called "highjacking" the thread. Instead of adding onto an existing thread, you should start a new thread.

Also, when you post here, you need to provide the complete problem statement (what you have is OK for that), any relevant equations or formulas, and your attempt at the solution.

What does a "linear combination" of functions mean?

how can i find an equation for the plane spanned by the vectors V1=(-1,1,1) and V2=(3,4,4).

mpegwmvavi said:
From equation (a), since we have rankA=r, the dimension of solution space,or in another words, the dimension of null space = nullityA = n-r by fundamental theorem of linear systems. From the same way, we have rank(A-I)=s, so nullity(A-I)=n-s.

Now, if the equation hold,ie,if :rankA+rank(A-I) = nullityA + nullity(A-I),I could complete my proof,ie,r+s=n
but the problem is that I don't get why the equation above,r+s=(n-s)+(n-r),holds.
Could somebody help me,please. I've stuck in this for a long long long~~~~~~~time. Thx.

You really didn't pay enough attention to post 2.

FAQ: How Do Rank Properties of Idempotent Matrices Affect Their Sum?

1. What is the definition of an idempotent matrix in linear algebra?

An idempotent matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied by itself, results in the same matrix. In other words, the matrix A is idempotent if A*A = A.

2. What are some common properties of idempotent matrices?

Some common properties of idempotent matrices include having eigenvalues of either 0 or 1, being diagonalizable, and having a determinant of either 0 or 1.

3. How are idempotent matrices used in real-world applications?

Idempotent matrices have many applications in fields such as statistics, economics, and engineering. They are often used to model recurring processes or to represent projection operators.

4. Can a non-square matrix be idempotent?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be idempotent. The definition of an idempotent matrix requires it to be square, meaning it has the same number of rows and columns.

5. How do you determine if a matrix is idempotent?

To determine if a matrix is idempotent, you can use the definition and multiply the matrix by itself. If the resulting matrix is the same as the original, then it is idempotent. Alternatively, you can check for the common properties of idempotent matrices mentioned in question 2.