How Do Restrictions Affect Counting in Combinatorics?

In summary: So it would be 10 * 9 * 8 - 10.In summary, the three problems involve restrictions on how often a letter or number can appear. For the first problem, where no letter can be repeated, the solution is 26 * 25 * 24 * 23 * 22 * 21 * 20 * 19. For the second problem, where X is the first letter and no letter can be repeated, the solution is 26 * 25 * 24 * 23 * 22 * 21 * 20. And for the third problem, which involves three decimal digits not containing the same digit three times, the solution is 10 * 9 * 8 - 10.
n00neimp0rtnt

Homework Statement

1. How many strings of eight English letters are there if no letter can be repeated?
2. How many strings of eight English letters are there if X is the first letter and no letter can be repeated?
3. How many strings of three decimal digits do not contain the same digit three times?

The Attempt at a Solution

You're probably able to tell that all of these problems follow a similar pattern: restrictions on how often a letter/number can show up. Other problems on the same assignment ask WITHOUT restriction (How many strings of eight English letters are there if no letter can be repeated?) and can therefore be solved with an easy exponent (268), but I'm not sure how to do these ones. I do believe, however, they somehow involve a factorial, as I recall examples in class demonstrating use of them.

Possibly something like 26 * 25 * 24 * 23 * 22 * 21 * 20 * 19, since after you pick one of 26, there are only 25 left to choose, and after 25 there are only 24 left to choose, and so on.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
n00neimp0rtnt said:

Homework Statement

1. How many strings of eight English letters are there if no letter can be repeated?
2. How many strings of eight English letters are there if X is the first letter and no letter can be repeated?
3. How many strings of three decimal digits do not contain the same digit three times?

The Attempt at a Solution

You're probably able to tell that all of these problems follow a similar pattern: restrictions on how often a letter/number can show up. Other problems on the same assignment ask WITHOUT restriction (How many strings of eight English letters are there if no letter can be repeated?) and can therefore be solved with an easy exponent (268), but I'm not sure how to do these ones. I do believe, however, they somehow involve a factorial, as I recall examples in class demonstrating use of them.

Possibly something like 26 * 25 * 24 * 23 * 22 * 21 * 20 * 19, since after you pick one of 26, there are only 25 left to choose, and after 25 there are only 24 left to choose, and so on.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, that's right for #1, assuming that all the letters are the same case, either upper case or lower case.

For #2, your thinking should be similar, but now you have only 7 letters that can vary.

For #3, it's probably easier to consider all of the possible 3-digit combinations, minus the combinations that use the same digit three times.

Related to How Do Restrictions Affect Counting in Combinatorics?

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both methods used in counting problems. Permutations refer to the number of different ways to arrange a set of objects, while combinations refer to the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set without regard to their order.

2. How do I know when to use permutations or combinations?

The key difference between permutations and combinations is whether the order of the objects matters in the problem. If the order is important, use permutations. If the order is not important, use combinations.

3. Can I use a formula to solve counting problems?

Yes, there are formulas for calculating permutations and combinations. The formula for permutations is nPr = n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged. The formula for combinations is nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.

4. What is the "distinguishability" factor in counting problems?

Distinguishability refers to whether or not the objects being counted are identical or distinct. This can affect the calculations for permutations and combinations, as identical objects will result in fewer possibilities compared to distinct objects.

5. Can counting problems be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, counting problems can be applied to various real-life situations such as probability, combinations in lottery numbers, and arrangements of objects. They are also commonly used in computer science and coding to determine the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario.