How do semiconductors affect a circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between p-type and n-type semiconductors and how adding a p-n junction affects a circuit. The p-n junction acts as a one-way valve, allowing current flow in one direction but not in the other. Understanding how semiconductors work is complex and typically requires a semester-long course, but utilizing them in circuits is simpler.
Devguy101
I understand the difference between p-type and n-type semiconductors but I just don't understand how adding a
p-n junction to a circuit affects it.
Can someone please explain how semiconductors work?
For example, if I had a circuit with just a battery and a light bulb, what would change if I added a p-n junction right before the bulb?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Devguy101 said:
what would change if I added a p-n junction right before the bulb?
The bulb would be on or off depending upon the direction of the p-n junction relative to the polarity of the battery.

An electronic part consisting of a simple pn junction is the DIODE. This part allows a current in one direction only - of course, caused by a corresponding voltage of (0.6...0.7) volts (forward operation). If you change the polarity of the voltage there will be no current (backward operation, off condition). Under this condition, the diode behaves like a very large resistance (nearly infinite).

Really I think you need to ask this as 2 questions...1) How does a PN junction work? 2) How does this affect a circuit - how is it used? I say this because you do not need to completely understand one to understand the other.

When a voltage is applied on a PN junction you are said to "bias" the junction - and sets up an electric field in the semiconductor. In the forward mode the "holes" in the P side and Electrons in the N side are pushed together by the electric field in the diode - when an electron - combines with a hole this in essence allows current flow. It is a lot more complicated but that is as simple as I can state it. In the reverse bias, the Holes and Electrons are pulled away from each other, they can not combine - and they can not conduct current.

As for use - think of the device as a one-way valve.

BTW introduction to semiconductors is a full semester EE, or Solid State Physics class - the HOW they work... granted it covers much more than diodes. I am not saying you need a semester class, but you probably can not figure it all out in a forum without a lot of research on your part. But note the Use side, how Diodes and other basic semiconductors are applied, is typically only a part of a circuit analysis course. - Using them is easier than understanding them.

Likes Devguy101

Related to How do semiconductors affect a circuit?

1. How do semiconductors work in a circuit?

Semiconductors, such as silicon, are materials that have properties between those of conductors and insulators. They are able to conduct electricity when certain conditions are met, such as the presence of an electric field or when exposed to light. In a circuit, semiconductors are used to control the flow of electricity by acting as switches or amplifiers.

2. What is the role of semiconductors in electronics?

Semiconductors are essential components in electronic devices. They are used in transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits, which are the building blocks of modern electronics. Semiconductors allow for the miniaturization and efficiency of electronic devices, making them an integral part of our daily lives.

3. How do semiconductors affect the performance of a circuit?

The type and quality of semiconductors used in a circuit can greatly impact its performance. For example, semiconductors with high levels of impurities can cause unwanted resistance and decrease the efficiency of the circuit. Additionally, the size and design of the semiconductor can also affect its performance, as smaller and more precise semiconductors can allow for faster and more efficient processing.

4. Can semiconductors fail in a circuit?

Yes, semiconductors can fail in a circuit due to various reasons such as overheating, physical damage, or manufacturing defects. When a semiconductor fails, it can cause the circuit to malfunction or stop working altogether. This is why proper handling and quality control during the manufacturing process are crucial in ensuring the reliability of semiconductors in electronic devices.

5. How do semiconductors impact the design of a circuit?

Semiconductors play a significant role in the design of a circuit as they determine the overall functionality and performance of the circuit. The type of semiconductor used, its size, and its placement in the circuit are all important considerations in the design process. Additionally, the type of circuit, whether it is digital or analog, will also affect the choice of semiconductors used in the design.

Back