How do solar neutrinos interact with nuclei to create radioactive elements?

In summary, the South Dakota Homestake Solar Neutrino detector detects solar neutrinos by observing their interaction with a (Cl) nucleus, resulting in the creation of a radioactive (Ar) nucleus. This is achieved through an inverse beta decay process in which a neutrino and proton combine to form a neutron and positron, which then interacts with a (Cl) nucleus to create an (Ar) nucleus. This process explains how the (Cl) nucleus can become an (Ar) nucleus.
Wantstolearn
I was reading about the South Dakota Homestake Solar Neutrino detector and I have a question?

What I am getting from reading about it is that, they detect solar neutrinos by looking for a neutrinos interaction with a (Cl) nucleus to make a radioactive (Ar) Nucleus.

(Ar) is one atomic number higher than (Cl), so how can the neutrino impact create the proton to make (Cl) into (Ar)?

Can the Neutrino's impact with the (Cl) nucleus make one of its neutrons gain a charge, making an (Ar) nucleus?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's an inverse beta decay, neutrino + proton -> neutron + positron

I looked up inverse beta decay http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1363128

And a neutron and a neutrino create a proton and electron. So I see how the (Cl) nucleus can become an (Ar) nucleus through this process. Awesome help thanks.

Last edited:

Related to How do solar neutrinos interact with nuclei to create radioactive elements?

1. What is the Solar Neutrino Question?

The Solar Neutrino Question refers to the discrepancy between the predicted and observed number of neutrinos coming from the Sun. According to our understanding of nuclear fusion in the Sun, we should be detecting a much higher number of neutrinos than what is actually observed.

2. How did the Solar Neutrino Question arise?

The Solar Neutrino Question was first identified in the late 1960s by physicist Ray Davis, who built the Homestake experiment to measure solar neutrinos. His results showed that the number of detected neutrinos was only one-third of what was expected based on solar models.

3. What are neutrinos and why are they important in the Solar Neutrino Question?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that are produced in nuclear reactions, such as those happening in the core of the Sun. They have very little mass and interact very weakly with matter, making them difficult to detect. The Solar Neutrino Question centers around the detection of these particles and understanding why the observed numbers do not match predictions.

4. What are some proposed solutions to the Solar Neutrino Question?

There are several proposed solutions to the Solar Neutrino Question, including: neutrino oscillations (where neutrinos change types as they travel), modifications to the Standard Solar Model, and new physics beyond our current understanding. The most widely accepted solution is the neutrino oscillation theory, which has been supported by experiments such as the Super-Kamiokande and SNO detectors.

5. Why is the Solar Neutrino Question important in the field of astrophysics?

The Solar Neutrino Question is important because it challenges our understanding of nuclear reactions and particle physics. It also has implications for our understanding of the Sun and other stars, as well as the composition of the universe. Resolving this question has been a major focus of research in astrophysics and particle physics, leading to significant discoveries and advancements in our knowledge of the universe.

Back