How Do Stiefel-Whitney Classes Determine Immersions in Algebraic Topology?

• Thread starter slackersven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving Stiefel-Whitney classes and immersions in algebraic topology. The poster is seeking help with understanding the problem and has provided their attempted solution using induction. A suggestion is given to use a specific binomial identity to simplify the expression and the poster is encouraged to seek help from their professor or classmates.
slackersven
Stiefel-Whitney Classes and immersions

Homework Statement

I don't know whether this goes here or somewhere in the math section of these forums as I am brand new here.
My algebraic topology professor is rather cryptic and the other two guys in the class are just as stuck as I am. I have gone to him and he told me to use what i have derived and a few properties of cohomology to get the desired result. So here it goes.
Given two bundles V and W such that [tex] V \oplus W [/tex] is trivial. Let [tex] w_j(V)=w_j [/tex] and [tex]w_j(W)=w^j[/tex] we can show that if
[tex] w(V)=1+ w_1 +w_2+w_3+ \dotsc [/tex]
then
[tex] w(W)= 1+(w_1+w_2+ \dotsc)+(w_1+w_2+ \dotsc)^2 +(w_1+w_2+ \dotsc)^3 + \dotsc [/tex]

We have shown that when [tex] X=\mathbb{R}\textsf{P}^n [/tex],
[tex]w(TX)=(1+x)^{n+1} \in H^*(X)=\mathbb{Z}[x]/x^{n+1} [/tex]

So the part I am having trouble with is the following:
If [tex] X=\mathbb{R}\textsf{P}^n [/tex] immerses in [tex]R^{n+c}[/tex] then [tex]\binom{-n-1}{j}[/tex] is even for c<j<=n.
The hint given is Show [tex]w^j=\binom{-n-1}{j}x^j[/tex] where V=TX

Homework Equations

Maybe:
[tex] w^k=w_1w^{k-1}+w_2w^{k-2}+w_3w^{k-3} +\dotsc w_{k-1}w^1 + w_k [/tex]
[tex] w_1=w^1 [/tex]
[tex] w^2=(w_1)^2 + w_2 [/tex]
[tex] w^3=(w_1)^3 +w_3 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many ways but have not found any success. Just now while writing this i tried an induction:
[tex] w^k=\binom{n+1}{1} \binom{-n-1}{k-1} x^k + \binom{n+1}{2} \binom{-n-1}{k-2} x^k + \dotsc + \binom{n+1}{k-1} \binom{-n-1}{1} x^k + \binom{n+1}{k} \binom{-n-1}{0} x^k [/tex]
but got stuck when this did not work out to anything nice:
[tex] \binom{n+1}{i} \binom{-n-1}{k-i} [/tex]

Anybody know how to do this? Are there binomial identities that I am missing or is this misunderstanding entirely in the structure of the cohomology ring? This is the last homework of my undergrad and I really want to be done.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question and the work you have done so far. Stiefel-Whitney classes and immersions are indeed fascinating topics in algebraic topology, and I am glad to see you exploring them.

Firstly, let me address the issue of where this post belongs. I can tell you that mathematics is indeed a form of science, so your post is perfectly fine here in the science forum. However, if you would like more specific and detailed responses from mathematicians, you may also consider posting your question in the mathematics forum.

Now, onto your question. It seems like you have made some good progress with your induction approach. However, you are right in pointing out that the expression you obtained does not seem to simplify nicely. This is because the binomial coefficients you have used are not quite the right ones for this problem.

To solve this problem, I would suggest using the following identity:
\binom{-n-1}{k-i} = (-1)^{k-i}\binom{n+k}{i}

You can prove this identity using the definition of binomial coefficients as well as some basic algebraic manipulations. Once you have this identity, you can substitute it into your expression and simplify it further. I hope this helps you make more progress on your homework.

Also, don't be afraid to reach out to your professor or classmates for help. Sometimes, getting a fresh perspective or discussing ideas with others can help you make breakthroughs in your understanding.

Good luck with your homework and your future studies in algebraic topology.

FAQ: How Do Stiefel-Whitney Classes Determine Immersions in Algebraic Topology?

1. What are Stiefel-Whitney classes?

Stiefel-Whitney classes are a set of topological invariants used in the field of algebraic topology to study manifolds. They are named after mathematicians Eduard Stiefel and Hassler Whitney, who first introduced them in the 1930s. These classes provide information about the orientability and characteristic behavior of a manifold.

2. How are Stiefel-Whitney classes calculated?

To calculate Stiefel-Whitney classes, one needs to use characteristic classes, which are polynomial cohomology classes associated with a vector bundle. These classes are calculated using the Chern-Weil theory, which involves taking the exterior product of differential forms and integrating over the manifold. The resulting cohomology class is the Stiefel-Whitney class.

3. What is the significance of Stiefel-Whitney classes?

Stiefel-Whitney classes have many important applications in topology, geometry, and physics. They can be used to classify vector bundles over a manifold, determine the existence of certain geometric structures, and study the topology of differentiable manifolds. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and algebraic geometry.

4. Can Stiefel-Whitney classes be used to distinguish between different manifolds?

Yes, Stiefel-Whitney classes can be used to distinguish between different manifolds. This is because each manifold has a unique set of Stiefel-Whitney classes, which can be thought of as its "fingerprint". By comparing the Stiefel-Whitney classes of two manifolds, one can determine if they are topologically equivalent or if they have different properties.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of Stiefel-Whitney classes?

While Stiefel-Whitney classes are powerful tools in topology, they do have some limitations. They only apply to differentiable manifolds and cannot be used on non-differentiable spaces. Additionally, they cannot provide information about the global geometry of a manifold, as they only capture local properties. However, when used in conjunction with other techniques, Stiefel-Whitney classes can provide valuable insights into the topology of a space.

Back