How Do Students Fund the Budapest Semester in Math Program?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Budapest Semesters in Mathematics program and the financial aspect of participating in it. The participants share their experiences with applying for scholarships and other study abroad programs with a focus on mathematics. There are also suggestions for scholarships and other study abroad options.
deekin
Hopefully some of you have heard of this program and have participated in it yourself. Here's the website if you haven't heard of it before:

http://www.budapestsemesters.com/

I'm thinking about applying to this program for either the summer 2014 or fall 2014. It looks really awesome. They offer a lot of cool math courses, many of which are not offered at my school. I have met with the study abroad financial aid office at my university but she was not as helpful as I had hoped she'd be.

My primary question is how does one pay for something like this? For those of you that have done it (if any), did you apply for scholarships? Which ones? I have searched for scholarships online which much success. I found the Gilman scholarship and this thing called "Fund for Education Abroad". Does anybody have some other suggestions?

I know that federal financial aid can be applied, but that certainly won't cover the cost. I would really appreciate any direction or advice in this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
On a related note, does anyone here have any experience at Math in Moscow? I've asked around in my own department, and apparently nobody in at least the past 10 years has gone anywhere like that. Or does anybody know of another study abroad program like that geared towards math majors?

I really don't have an answer to your financial aid question. With my school, all I had to do was apply to financial aid as I do every year, then talk to the study abroad office and they handled everything. The programs tuition comes out of my normal tuition in my home school, and the aid I wouldn't use for room and board and meals and what not they sent to me so I could provide for myself in Hungary.

I do know that the AMS has a couple scholarships for the Moscow Program. Here's the link: http://www.ams.org/programs/travel-grants/mimoscow

The Moscow one is much smaller. From what I hear, they have about 12 or so students a semester. Whereas in Budapest, we have about 75. There's also a lot more classes to choose from.

I do know of another math "Study Abroad" program. http://www.math.psu.edu/mass/mass/2013/
Basically, students go to penn state for a semester and take three math courses. The courses vary each semester, but they usually have one in analysis, one in algebra/number theory, and one in geometry/topology. They also have a bit of information on a couple scholarships they offer on their website.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck,

Donut.

Awesome, thanks Donut. What classes in Budapest did you take? Anything you'd particularly recommend? Were you there fairly recently?

Last edited:

I cannot provide financial advice, but I can offer some insight into the Budapest Semester in Math program. First of all, it is a highly respected and reputable program for students interested in mathematics. It offers a unique opportunity to study advanced mathematics in a culturally rich and historical city like Budapest. Many students who have participated in the program have found it to be a valuable and enriching experience.

As for the cost, it is important to carefully consider all financial options available to you. This may include applying for scholarships, such as the Gilman scholarship and the Fund for Education Abroad, as well as seeking financial aid from your university and exploring other potential funding sources. It may also be helpful to speak with alumni of the program and ask about their experiences and how they funded their participation.

It is also important to carefully budget and plan for the costs associated with the program, including tuition, housing, travel, and living expenses. The Budapest Semester in Math website provides a breakdown of estimated costs for each semester, which can help you in your planning.

Ultimately, it is important to weigh the potential benefits of participating in this program against the financial costs. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor or mentor to discuss how this program fits into your academic and career goals.

Related to How Do Students Fund the Budapest Semester in Math Program?

What is "Budapest Semester in Math"?

"Budapest Semester in Math" is a study abroad program that allows undergraduate students to spend a semester studying mathematics in Budapest, Hungary. It is designed for students who have a strong interest in mathematics and want to experience a different culture while furthering their mathematical education.

Who can participate in "Budapest Semester in Math"?

Any undergraduate student who has completed at least two years of university-level mathematics courses and has a strong interest in mathematics is eligible to apply for the program. Students from all over the world are welcome to participate.

What courses are offered in "Budapest Semester in Math"?

The program offers a variety of courses in pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and computer science. Some examples of courses offered include Algebraic Geometry, Number Theory, and Graph Theory. Students can also participate in a research project with a faculty member.

What is the cost of "Budapest Semester in Math"?

The cost of the program varies depending on the student's home institution and the length of the program. However, the program is generally more affordable than a semester at most universities in the United States. Additionally, scholarships and financial aid may be available to help cover the cost of the program.

What is the living arrangement like for students in "Budapest Semester in Math"?

The program offers a variety of housing options, including shared apartments, homestays, and residence halls. Most students choose to live in shared apartments, where they can live with other program participants and experience the local culture. The program also provides support for students in finding suitable housing options.