How Do Traffic Signal Timings Affect Car Speed Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving traffic signals placed at different positions along a straight road and the time intervals during which the signals are green. The conversation includes instructions on how to draw displacement-versus-time curves for a car traveling at a constant speed in both directions, and asks questions about the timing and fastest speed for a car to pass through all the signals. It also includes information about the graph being used for the problem. The expert summarizes that the fastest speed will have the steepest slope and asks for clarification on question (c).
brad sue
Hi,
this is a problem I have . But because I cannot include the graph, I try to do via Microsoft Word. I put it as an attachment. I hope that you will understand it.

This is the problem:

Traffic signals are placed along a straight road at positions x = 0 m, x = 600 m, and x = 1200 m (see graph in attachment)). The time intervals during which the signals are green are shown by the thick lines ( in red) in the figure.

(a) Draw the displacement-versus-time curves (fastest and slowest) for a car that passes through all the lights when the car moves with constant speed.

(b) Draw a similar set of lines for a car traveling in the opposite direction.

(c) Assuming that the lights are timed such that a car passes through all lights in the middle of the time interval, what is the speed for which the lights are timed?

(d) What is the fastest constant speed of a car that makes it through all the signals, assuming it arrives at the first light at the optimal moment?

For info.:
The grah is a 2 dimension space with time(s) on horizontal and the position x(m) in vertical.
The interval are put in red and I mentioned the time interval at the end of each line.
Please help me with that . I do not understand it

Thank you very much.

Brad

Attachments

• graphphys.doc
    19 KB · Views: 183
Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you map x=x(t), then v = dx/dt and the slope is speed (or magnitude of velocity).

If you draw a straight line, it's slope will be a constant speed.

So the fastest speed, will have the steepest slope.

ok!

Thank you that make more sense now , but what about quesion c

I do not understand this question .
Thanks

Brad
Astronuc said:
Well if you map x=x(t), then v = dx/dt and the slope is speed (or magnitude of velocity).

If you draw a straight line, it's slope will be a constant speed.

So the fastest speed, will have the steepest slope.

FAQ: How Do Traffic Signal Timings Affect Car Speed Calculations?

1. What factors determine the timing of a traffic signal?

The timing of a traffic signal is determined by several factors, including traffic volume, the length of the intersection, and the speed limit of the road. Other factors may also be considered, such as pedestrian crossing signals and emergency vehicle priority.

2. How does a traffic signal know when to change?

Most traffic signals use sensors to detect the presence of vehicles and pedestrians. These sensors send signals to a control box, which uses a computer program to determine when to change the signal based on the traffic patterns and timing settings.

3. What is the purpose of the yellow light in a traffic signal?

The yellow light serves as a warning to drivers that the signal is about to change. It gives them time to slow down and prepare to stop before the red light appears. It also helps to prevent accidents by allowing drivers to clear the intersection before cross traffic begins.

4. Why do some traffic signals seem to have longer wait times than others?

Traffic signals are programmed to adjust to the current traffic conditions. If there is heavy traffic on one side of the intersection, the signal may stay green longer for that direction to keep traffic flowing. This can result in longer wait times for other directions.

5. How does a traffic signal handle turning vehicles?

Some traffic signals have special signals or turning lanes for vehicles making turns. These signals are coordinated with the main signal to allow for safe and efficient turns. In some cases, sensors may also be used to detect turning vehicles and adjust the signal timing accordingly.

Back